1

Loki, Bucky, and you were the only ones left in the tower. Bucky still hadn't been cleared for field work, and you were asked to stay because Loki decided to drop in for a visit, and no one trusted him around the tower unsupervised. Bucky kept himself locked in his room, as he usually did, while you and Loki watched movies and had takeout in the living room.

"Y/N? Why didn't you ever fall in love with me?" he ran his hand through your hair as your head lay on his lap. It wasn't uncommon for him to be so open and friendly when the two of you were alone.

"Huh?" you were too invested in the movie you were watching to pay attention. "HEY!" you protested when he turned the tv off.

"You have, as you say, 'a thing' for troubled men who are too old for you. So, why didn't you ever fall in love with me?" his inquiry was one of genuine curiosity rather than jealousy.

"Because you annoy the hell out of me. Can we finish the movie?"

"Oh come now, darling, you enjoy my company and all that it entails." he grinned at you.

You couldn't hold back your own smile. "True, but your more irritating practices tend to be aimed at someone else. What's this about?" you weren't sure whether you should be concerned with his train of thought.

"Nothing, love, just thinking aloud." he assured you.

"Ok, then why didn't you fall in love with me?" you mocked.

"You're mortal." he shrugged, as if it was obvious.

"Yet here you are, watching stupid movies with me. Admit it, you like hanging out with me." you teased.

"I tolerate you." he sighed. "Nothing more."

You threw a piece of popcorn at him. "Jerk."

"If anyone ever heard me say otherwise, I'd never hear the end of it. Not that I'm admitting anything..." he trailed off.

"Oh my god, Loki!" you squealed as you sat up. "I'm your bestie!"

"You won't be for long if you keep it up." he half heartedly warned.

You never understood the need for secrecy regarding your friendship on his end. "What's the big deal? Everyone already knows you're my best friend. Why's it so bad they know I'm yours, too?" It's not as if he ever shot you down or pushed you away when you were friendly towards him in front of the others, anyway.

Loki then got a twinkle in his eye. One that you knew meant bad news for whoever was on the receiving end of it. "You're right." he cooed. "Once the team returns from their mission, I'll gladly declare our status as the best of friends for them all to hear."

"What are you doing?" you glared at him.

"And to show everyone the sincerity of my declaration, I'm going to help you get something you desperately want, bestie. The Winter Soldier."