19

Loki enjoyed the film, but you thought the story was weak; a simple way to justify all the violence. The action was great, but the lack of depth kind of ruined it for you. You were still ranting about the plot holes as you stepped into a diner; your usual after movie tradition. He excused himself to the restroom while you picked a table. You had barely ordered your drinks when a man approached, stopping in front of your table.

"H-hi," he greeted timidly. "I'm Matt."

"Y/N," you smiled politely.

"I know." He shut his eyes and blushed. "I mean, we've met before...sort of. I was there at that bank that was threatened last fall."

"Oh! I remember, you were there with your sister. How are you holding up?"

His face lit up. "Yeah! Wow I can't believe you remember us. I'm-we're good. Can't live your life in fear, right?"

"Absolutely. That's good to hear." You were relieved he and his sister were taking it in stride.

"It got crazy there, towards the end. I never got a chance to thank you," his voice began to get steadier.

"It's not needed, but I appreciate it all the same." Out of the corner of your eye, you saw Loki making his way toward your table, and wondered if Matt would be freaked out by him.

"I know I'm kinda taking a huge risk here, but if I don't I know I'm gonna regret it. Can I take you out? To dinner, I mean. Not only as thanks..." he trailed off with a handsome smile.

Matt was sweet, and you'd be lying if you said he wasn't pretty cute. But despite everything, you still only had eyes for Bucky, and it would've been unfair for you to accept the invitation and give him hope for something more. Luckily, Loki was a good scapegoat for these types of situations.

"She'd love to," he spoke from behind the man. Loki's sudden appearance didn't faze him.

"Yeah?" he looked back at you, eyes wide with excitement.

"Uh, yeah! Yeah sure," you smiled tightly.

"You're free tomorrow evening, aren't you Y/N? That'd be perfect." Loki's sickly sweet tone didn't hide his glee at the predicament he'd placed you in.

"Yup. Free."

"Great! Tomorrow it is! Let me give you my number." He patted his pants for a pen before Loki helpfully conjured one up and offered it to him. After Loki gave him yours, you said your goodbyes and Loki took the seat across from you, allowing you give him a swift kick to the shin.

"What'd you do that for?!" you hissed.

"Not so that you'd kick me!" he rubbed his leg. "He was perfectly polite! And you looked pleased. Besides, you need to get over that abominable snowman."

"I think Clint called you that once, actually. And no! I'll get over him when I'm damn well rea- wow that sounded less pathetic in my head," you cringed.

Loki pat your hand sympathetically as you bowed your head on the table. "It's not pathetic if you're willing to move on."

You considered Loki's words, knowing you'd have a long, hard road ahead if you didn't get over Bucky

You considered Loki's words, knowing you'd have a long, hard road ahead if you didn't get over Bucky. It wasn't as if you could cut him out of your life, and actively avoiding him would only get more difficult when he was cleared for field work. You'd have to travel together, complete missions together, maybe even go undercover together. Loki was right, if you wanted to be able to focus on your job and not Bucky, you had to overcome your feelings for him as soon as possible.

"What if I can't?" you asked, voicing the fear you could barely admit to yourself.

"I'm so sorry. I tried, but he sees you as nothing more than a pebble in his shoe. But you can overcome this. You must," he firmly insisted.

It was something else you didn't want to admit. "Ok," you conceded. "I'll do it."

"Don't look so glum. Young Matthew is easy on the eyes and already he's treated you better than the sergeant has."

You took the napkin with Matt's number, and punched it into your phone. "I hope you're right." 

"