10

The next several days were much of the same: he'd wake you, throw glares of suspicion your way, and soften throughout the day only to start over in the morning. Needless to say, your favorite part of the day was the evenings. You'd also taken a lot of notes on what he did and didn't like. He loved the zoo. So much that he didn't mind having to be picked up to get a better look at the animals. On the flip side, he gave you a nasty look at the park when you offered to push him on the swing. He enjoyed baking with you, but didn't appreciate the cutesy shapes of most of the cookie cutters. He still wasn't very vocal, but he was less hesitant to communicate. You were still having trouble figuring out if his mind was that of grown Bucky, or if he really was three in every way.

After laundry and your shower, you made your way to Steve's room for the night. You passed Bucky's door and stopped dead at soft cries that came from inside. "Bucky?" you knocked softly, not wanting to scare him. "Sweetie, are you ok? Can I come in?" You were met with silence, and felt disheartened to think he was trying to hide it. "I'm coming in."

You opened the door and let the light of the hallway illuminate his room. He was gripping his pillow tightly, his eyes unfocused toward the floor. You approached slowly, sitting at the end of his bed to give him space. "Bucky? Did you have a bad dream?" For a moment, you thought he wasn't going to answer, but he nodded as his eyes filled with fresh tears. You held your hand out, much like he did that first night. "Come on, let's get out of here for a bit."

He eyed your hand uncertainly. "I don't know what makes you feel better, but I can show you what helps me." You smiled kindly when he nodded and took your hand. You led him to your floor and into your room. Bucky looked around as you grabbed your pillows and comforter, his eyes landing on a little stuffed dog. You grabbed Babe: The Gallant Pig from your shelf and turned to him. Seeing his gaze on your dog, you reached for it and held it out to him. You felt something in you melt when he grinned and buried his face in it.

You dropped everything but the dog off on the couch and went to the kitchen. You told Bucky you were making hot cocoa, and gave him a mug that he filled halfway with marshmallows. You settled on the couch and reached for the book. You hoped he didn't think you were patronizing him by reading him a children's book, but he seemed content cuddled up with the stuffed animal.

You were nearly thirty pages in when he finally fell asleep. You didn't want to move him, so you decided to sleep on the other couch. You placed a gentle kiss on his head before settling in, hoping he'd have a better night now.