6

You figured bottoms would be the easiest, so you started there. Grown Bucky had a preference for sweats and basketball shorts, and little Bucky proved to be no different. When you reached the shirts is where you started having problems.

The section was massive, so you began to sift through the closest rack, pulling everything that was his size out to show him. You didn't realize he'd frozen at the daunting task before him. The sound of rapid breathing caught your attention. His eyes began to pool with tears, and his chest was heaving.

"Woah, hey. It's ok," you tried to calm him, but he couldn't be snapped out of it. You frantically looked around for a spot that wasn't so loud or cluttered, but came up empty. You saw a door on the adjacent wall that read 'Employees Only' and dropped everything you'd been holding. "I'm going to pick you up and take you somewhere quiet, ok?" You scooped Bucky up and bolted to the door, only setting him down when you found the break room.

He looked around momentarily, and you jumped on it. "Hey sweetie, look at me." You smiled when he did. "Breathe with me, ok?" You began taking deep breaths, and he followed. Once he'd had enough control over himself, you began to breath slower and steadier. "That's it. Keep going," you encouraged.

"So many," his voice was shaky.

"I know. I have an idea, but you take your time and settle down for now." You looked around and took note of the vending machines in the room. "You want some water?" He nodded and continued his breathing as you fetched his beverage. He was ready to head back out when he'd finished it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Bucky sat on the base of a mannequin, next to a growing pile of shirts. You'd disappear for a couple of minutes, and return with a small selection for him to choose from. Once in a while, you'd get excited and only return with one, hoping he'd like it.

"How about this?" you held up a shirt with Yoda on it. "Have you even seen Star Wars yet?"

He barely gave it a glance. "Yucky green yucky frog."

"Yoda's not a frog!" Had it been anyone else, you might have been offended.

"Ugly yucky frog!" he protested.

You burst out into laughter and hid the shirt behind your back. "Ok, ok, no yucky frog."

As Bucky's clothes pile grew, you noticed he favored either plain shirts, or ones with animals on them. So you focused on finding more of those.

"Look! This one has puppies!" you returned to find an older woman, kneeling in front of him and fussing over him.

"Is this your son? I didn't know any of the Avengers had children. He is going to be a looker when he grows up. You're going to have your hands full when this one starts getting around."

"That's... a weird thing to say," you mumbled. Bucky turned to you, his eyes begging for help. "I'm sorry, ma'am, but if you could please step back a bit we'd really appreciate it."

It was as if she didn't hear you. "He's a gorgeous little thing. Look at those big, blue eyes! And those cheeks," she pinched him. Bucky's breaths began to get shallow again.

"Please, he doesn't like being touched, especially by strangers." You pulled him out of her reach and he wrapped an arm around your leg.

"Nonsense, what child doesn't love a little attention? Do you want some candy?" she began to fish through her purse.

"No, he doesn't," you spoke a bit firmer, but again, she ignored you.

She held out a lollipop, "Here you go, cutie."

You turned and picked him up. "Thank you, but no thank you. Now if you would excuse us, we have more shopping to do."

"Aw he's a shy one, isn't he?"

You saw her hand reach out again, and you snapped. "I swear to God, lady, if you lay another finger on him, you'd better be prepared to lose it." You took a fighting stance, and even with Bucky in one arm, you looked every bit as dangerous as you did in uniform.

The woman stiffened and turned her nose up at you. "You can bet Mr. Stark will be hearing about this. He won't be pleased to hear he's housing such a rude, ungrateful, young woman. Don't forget you're nothing more than another stray he takes pity on until you outlive your usefulness." She turned and walked away, chin up in the air.

"'Mr.Stark will be hearing about this,'" you mimicked. "Crusty old bitch." A soft tittering beside you brought your attention back to Bucky. "You ok?" He gave you a small nod and you set him down. You weren't surprised when you felt him take hold of the hem of your shirt, probably afraid the woman would return. You were shocked, however, when after a while, you felt his small hand slip into yours.