8

You knew you were in for trouble when the server offered you a booster seat for Bucky. You politely declined and asked for a booth in the back, pleased to see he would be able to eat comfortably sitting on his knees. Both of you sat on the same side, wanting to keep all the exits in sight. The server handed you your menu, and you grimaced when she handed him a kid's menu. He frowned, but took it quietly.

"What can I get you to drink?"

You looked over at Bucky, indicating him to go first. Rather than speak up, he grabbed the sleeve of your shirt, pulling you down to his level to whisper in your ear. "Ok. Do you want ice?" He thought for a moment, and nodded. "We'll take two lemonades, please."

When the server left, Bucky shoved his menu to the other side of the table and scooted closer as you set yours between the two of you. He looked happy when you reached the burger section, and pointed right at a large looking cheeseburger stacked with bacon. "I want it. I want a..." You waited patiently for him to find the right words. Again, you wondered how much Loki's spell affected him. "Dis," he'd flipped a few pages back to the salads, and pointed.

"Avocado?"

"Yes, but is smushy."

The server returned with your drinks, "You ready to order, hon?"

"Yes, thank you. He'd like the bacon cheeseburger with guacamole, please. And I'll-"

"I'm sorry, but that burger isn't available on the kids menu."

You shut your eyes and took a deep breath, realizing this was going to be yet another confrontation.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Much to everyone's surprise, Bucky finished the burger, and even asked for dessert. You saw when his eyes began to droop, and thought it was strange that the spell had affected his stamina, but not his appetite. He readily agreed to let you carry him back to the tower when you left the diner, and it wasn't long until you felt his soft breath against your neck.

You were greeted with all the day's purchases when you entered the living room. You cleared the small couch and gently placed Bucky down. After you slipped off his shoes, you quickly began to fold all his clothes. You would have to wait for him to wake to put them away, thinking he probably wouldn't appreciate you going into his room without his permission. You grabbed the car seat and headed for the elevator.

"FRIDAY, if he wakes up, tell him I just went to the garage and I'll be right back."

You struggled trying to figure out how the damn seat was meant to be strapped in, and in the end you sought help from a security guard, who thankfully enough, had three kids at home. He secured the seat in no time, and you were able to make your way back to a still sleeping Bucky.

You could have used a nap as well, but you felt guilty knowing you weren't doing anything to figure out how to reverse the spell. You made to go to the elevator to grab your laptop before you realized how ridiculous that would be. Even if by some miracle, you found something that might help, you'd need assistance from someone with magical talent to pull it off. There was no way you'd risk exposing Bucky when he was so vulnerable; when you were his only line of defense.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

When Bucky woke, it took everything in you not to 'aw' when yawned and rubbed his eyes. "Hey, sleepyhead. Have a nice nap?"

"Yeah." He looked around at all the stuff you guys bought, and reached for a pile of shirts. "I gonna put dis in my room."

"Want some help?" you offered, not wanting to invite yourself into his private space.

He shoved the shirts into your hands, "Ok."

You worried a bit wondering where you were going to fit it all, but it was for nothing. Bucky had so little, there was plenty of room for everything. Before it could upset you, you decided to get him something to make the room look warmer when he was grown again, and pushed it out of your mind.

"What are you going to want for dinner?" you asked him on your way back to the living room.

"Spaghetti."

"Spaghetti? Well, we need to go to the store, then."