25

Bucky joined you in the back seat, immediately taking hold of your hand. Steve expressed his regret that Bucky's celebratory trip was cut short, but Bucky only looked over at you and smiled, saying it'd gone perfectly. By the time you reached the tower, Steve and Bucky settled on a barbecue to make up for having to return early. To your relief, you arrived before the others, knowing they'd have questions you were too exhausted to deal with. Bucky walked you to your room, but prevented you from going inside.

"I'm gonna make it up to you," he promised. "For everything."

You wrapped your arms around him, nuzzling into him. "Me, too."

"You already have," he murmured into your temple before pulling away. "So whattaya say tomorrow, when I'm cleaned up, I officially ask you on a date?"

"I say I can't wait."

He grinned and kissed you goodnight, leaving you in a euphoric daze. Halfway through your shower, you realized you hadn't stopped smiling, and were overcome by a fit of giggles over how everything turned out.

It was well into the afternoon when you woke, and too excited to go back to sleep, leapt out of bed and into the bathroom to wash up for the day, finding Loki on your bed when you reentered your room.

"Where've you been?" he asked in mock annoyance. "I came to see you the other day and everyone was gone."

You joined him on the bed, biting the inside of your cheek to keep the dam from bursting. "I went camping," you grinned.

"Oh?" he raised a brow. "Did you enjoy yourself?"

"Yes!" you squealed.

The floodgates opened and you told him everything, starting from the night you returned from the date with Matt. Loki watched your smile grow wider as the story progressed, feeling a sense of accomplishment that he aided in your happiness.

"Did you know he liked me?" you asked suddenly.

"Not at first," he replied honestly. "I'd have told you if I did, you know that."

"When did you find out?"

"I suspected late into the spell's cycle, and confirmed it on the night of your date," he smirked. "The fool nearly choked when he realized you and I were not romantically involved."

"That's why you were in the common room with the team!" you gasped, realization dawning on you. "And why he burst into my room that night and-"

"His behavior toward you improved," he finished for you.

'Wait a minute, is that why you accepted a date with Matt on my behalf?"

"To show Barnes what an idiot he is? Yes, of course."

"Oh man, that's not fair to Matt," you sighed

"Oh man, that's not fair to Matt," you sighed. "So it wasn't because you wanted me to get over him?"

Loki scoffed, "As if you could."

You stepped up to him and pulled him into a hug. "Thank you so much."

He returned the hug, pulling away before he grew too emotional. "You say he's going to make his move today?" When you nodded, he led you over to your closet. "Then let's get you looking presentable, Darling."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

You were disappointed that Loki wasn't staying for dinner, but he insisted he shouldn't intrude since it was still in honor of Bucky's Avenger status. Still, he helped you with what he could in the meantime, reassuring you over and over that you looked lovely and everything would be fine.

"You realize if he ever hurts you again, I'll be leaving the footage for the others to find."

You gaped at him, eyes wide. "You didn't get rid of it?"

"Of course not," he chuckled. "Think of it as insurance. No one will see it as long as he doesn't make a mess of everything."

"Hey you two," Clint greeted as he strode in. "Loki, could I speak to you for a minute?"

He cocked his head, eyes slightly narrowed before following him out into the living area. "Is there a problem?" he asked coolly.

"Hitchcock? Really?"

Loki didn't hesitate. "Is that supposed to mean something?"

"Uh-huh," Clint tried to hide his amusement. "You have no idea what I'm talking about?"

"Should I?" he challenged, eyebrows shooting up to his hairline.

"The grizzly was a nice touch; scarily aggressive, yet Y/N didn't get a scratch on her."

Loki kept his face blank. "I hear that's thanks to the Sergeant."

"Right."

Unable to take Clint's smugness any longer, Loki rolled his eyes, seemingly bored with the conversation. "If that will be all?" he dismissed, making his way back to the kitchen.

"One last thing," he stopped Loki just as he was passing him. "It might interest you to know that we don't have grizzlies in this part of the country. You know, for next time." Clint couldn't hold in his laughter as he watched Loki's composure crumble.

"You breathe a word to anyone," he threatened, but was interrupted by the others coming from the elevator.

Bucky eyed Loki warily before asking, "Y/N down here?"

"Kitchen," he replied dryly.

Bucky nodded and set off, pausing for a moment before backtracking. "You staying for dinner?"

Loki was taken aback at the question. "Are you... extending an invitation?"

Bucky sighed, running a nervous hand through his hair. "Yeah."

The two seemed to be caught in a staredown, unsure what to make of the other.

"Thank you," Loki finally spoke. "It would be an honor."

Bucky nodded and made his way over to you before leading you to the balcony outside the common area.

"Congratulations," Steve sidled up to him as everyone watched you and Bucky.

What for?" Loki asked unamused, not really wanting to play another game like he had with Clint.

"You know what I'm talking about"

"I assure you, Captain, I do not."

"I never took you for a matchmaker," Natasha chimed in, smiling at the sight of Bucky caressing your cheek.

Loki remained silent, confirming her words.

"How'd you do it?" Sam asked. "I thought he hated her."

"I think the better question is why'd you do it?" Steve cut in.

Loki watched you jump into Bucky's arms and engage him in a passionate kiss. "Why wouldn't I?" he asked, smiling softly. "She is my best friend, after all."