20

Loki did his best to ignore the nagging voice in the back of his mind while he helped you get ready for your date with Matt. You had asked him, no begged him to leave the thing with Bucky alone. But, he reasoned, he technically never agreed, and he certainly never promised he wouldn't do anything else. So he quelled it, and focused on you.

"What the... I could have sworn this dress was at least three inches longer."

"It was," he confirmed. "I fixed it."

Your jaw dropped. "There was nothing wrong with it!"

"No, but I think Matthew might appreciate the view better," he grinned, bringing a faux scandalized gasp from you.

"Matt's not a pervert!" you insisted.

"Oh please, you've spoken to him all of five minutes. For all you know, he could be the biggest deviant this side of the galaxy and is planning to completely destroy you in his dungeon."

"Oh god, stop! I'm gonna pee!" you were doubled over on the bed, laughing.

"Hold it, he may want it for certain activities later." Loki's eyes softened, glad to see you smiling again. He only hoped this plan wouldn't blow up in his face, too.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Everyone eyed Loki warily as he sat casually in front of the television. It was the longest he'd been in the tower without you at his side, and they were beginning to grow suspicious. Steve heard a low growl escape Bucky when they headed toward the kitchen, and gestured for him to go on ahead.

"Where's Y/N? You two are usually attached at the hip." Steve kept his tone friendly, hoping it would coax the truth out of him.

"Out," he stated matter of factly.

"Without you?" Though Steve tried to see the best in everyone, he was as skeptical of Loki as the others.

"She's on a date." Loki had to conceal his delight at hearing Bucky choke on his drink. "I'm simply awaiting her return to, as you say, hear all the dirty details."

Steve's brow furrowed. "What do you mean a date?" Bucky stumbled back into the living room, gasping and looking as bewildered as he felt, and collapsed in the chair furthest from Loki.

"It's when two people find each other agreeable enough to spend time together romantically," he quipped.

"I know what a date is!" He shot defensively. Loki only shrugged. "I mean, why is she on a date with someone else? Have you two, uh, broken it off?" he tried to ask delicately.

Loki's brows nearly disappeared into his hairline. "Whatever do you mean, Captain?"

"Wait, you thought Y/N and Loki were together?" Clint tittered.

"Didn't everyone?" Bucky's voice was still strained from his coughing fit.

"Thor told us you were," Steve accused. "He said he was happy you'd finally found someone to love and share your life with."

"Of course," Loki sighed at his brother's stupidity. "Thor's a buffoon," he stated, as if that explained everything.

"In their defense, he is weirdly fond of her," Natasha joined in. "So who's the guy? Where'd they meet?"

Loki rolled his eyes, knowing it was only the beginning of the interrogation. Looking over at Bucky, though, he knew none of it would matter. It looked like the idiot was using his sorry excuse of a brain for once, if his pained expression was any indication. He never understood what it was you saw in him, but he didn't need to. He was the one that held your heart, and that told him everything he needed to know.

"His name is Matthew, and they met quite some time ago." It wasn't a lie, and as it made the Sergeant squirm, he was going to run with it.

Wanda plopped down next to Loki, bouncing with excitement. "Is he cute?"

"I suppose, for a Midgardian. He certainly falls in the class she finds pleasing. You know the type: tall, dark hair, haunted eyes..." he looked over at Bucky. "An utter imbecile with a good heart and a murky past."

His frown softened, and Loki saw something finally click into place. It was Bucky's move now, and even he wasn't so stupid as to let this go. At least he hoped not.

"Hmm," Natasha was impressed. "Why didn't she ask for help getting ready?"

"Do you doubt me, spider? I helped her, and if I may say so, she looked positively ravishing." His tone was nothing short of obscene. Bucky stood abruptly, knocking his chair over, and stormed off. Loki's gaze followed as he left, reveling in his success. "Hm, what's got him so upset?"

 "Hm, what's got him so upset?"