11

The next morning, it was like someone had flipped a switch in Bucky. He was incredibly sweet, almost affectionate, right from the start.

"I can do it!" he called from the counter when you made to put lettuce on some toast.

"Alright. You uh, wanna put the bacon and cheese on there, too?" this time it was you who was suspicious.

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm," he dragged, considering it as he meticulously placed the leaves. "Yes." You gave him the items and finished the eggs while he assembled them. "Mmm yummy," he declared happily while eating his sandwich.

"Glad you like it. So, what do you want to do today?" you asked tentatively, worried he would shut down any minute.

"Camping!" he called excitedly.

"Uhh..." You weren't sure what to do, but you knew you couldn't take him out in the wilderness. "Maybe when Steve gets back? I don't really know much about camping."

Your heart felt heavy when his smile faltered, but he quickly recovered. "Is ok."

You finished your breakfast in silence, and you were washing up when an idea hit you. "Do you wanna see a dinosaur?"

He instantly perked up at the idea. "Yeah!"

You grabbed a paper and pen from the junk drawer and began scribbling something down. "Go get dressed. I'll get ready when I'm done here."

He fearlessly jumped off the counter and ran for the elevator. When you finished cleaning up, you went to the lobby instead of your room and handed the secretary the paper. He assured you everything would be done promptly, and you headed to your room to get ready.

Bucky ran into the living room and grabbed your wallet, keys, and phone, and waited for you by the elevator. The doors opened, and as you began walking out he pushed you back inside. "Les go!"

"Hold on," you chortled. "I need to get-" he interrupted you by shoving your things in your hands. All traces of disappointment were gone, and his giddiness warmed your insides. "Alright, then. Let's go."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Woah..." Bucky craned his neck, taking in the giant before him. "Is real big!"

"Mmhm. If it were alive, it could squish us like bugs. Or eat you like a chicken nugget," you gave him a gentle shove. "A crunchy one."

"You a crunchy nugget," he laughed, pushing you back. "You don't let it eat me?"

"It'll go extinct all over again if it so much as looks at you funny," you vowed as you took his hand. "Let's go read the infograph, just in case; find out what its weaknesses are."

You made your way through the exhibit, every creature captivating Bucky more than the last. "No more?" he looked a bit crestfallen at having reached the end.

"That's all of them. We could go look at them again, or..." you pointed at a banner leading to another wing.

"Mummies!" He tugged on your pant leg, "Les go!"

You loved how amusing he found the mummified animals, but you couldn't focus on him when you reached the human section of the exhibit.

"Those facial reconstructions look weird, don't they?" you gestured toward the replicas. "They're kinda freaking me out." You turned to Bucky to gauge his reaction, only to find him grinning at you. "What are you smiling about?"

"You scared," he teased

"No," you protested. "I'm creeped out. Huge difference."

Bucky began giggling, "You scared like a baby."

Your jaw dropped. Bucky never teased you. He shot your own playful jabs back with a 'no, you' before today. He was also more animated than you'd ever seen him. You wanted to ask him what'd gotten into him, but you worried pointing it out would make him stop.

"Oh yeah?" you challenged. "Let's see how brave you are when something looking like that is coming at you."

"Is ok," he took your hand and smiled up at you. "I save you."

Without warning, you scooped him up into your arms and hugged him tightly. "Thank you, Buck."