Chapter 9

It still burns in my memory.

That day, the neighbouring country had ambushed our fortress. When the news reached our side, the castle was in turmoil. We were not prepared for the unexpected situation. The enemy probably aimed for this. Yes, the moment when the newly appointed king hasn't been accepted by the people. That time when our country was still unorganized, our citizens not united.

But out of all these facts, there's only one thing I want to say. Starting a war without declaration. It can only mean one thing. Those barbarians broke the Rules of War! And since they've broken one, I dare say they won't mind breaking a few more rules.

I remember how I was gnashing my teeth as I express my opinion on the matter to the King and other related parties. It was extremely hard to keep up a cool facade right then.

Rules of War. As the name stated, it's a set of rules pertaining to the fairness of war. Warfare, the declaration of war, the reason of war, the agreement of war and everything else regarding war. There are rules in which we must abide, to prevent injustice.

Now here's a question.

In a world where magic revolves, what is the strict rule that's formed from that very existence?

The use of magic is strictly banned in a war.

I'm more than sure they broke that rule too. If not now, later will suffice.

...

After lots of considerations taken into account, we'd decided to have volunteers go to assist the fortress instead of a proper reinforcement because of the limited time we have. The trip to our fortress from here amount to three days without rest. If our fortress is attacked as we speak, then there's no more time for delay.

As soon as the sun set, we also set out on our horses. Due to our shortage of time, we had to use magic in order to speed up our track. It causes some losses to our supplies of mana replenishment, but it is nothing compared to the lives that might be lost as we mulled over such thoughts.

We arrived in about a day and a quarter later without any obstacles, but I can't help but fret over how many lives have been lost during that in between gap.

After a quick rest, I led everyone onto the battlefield. With the final adjustment to our determination, everyone was prepared for the worst to happen.

We'll absolutely protect our country.

However, this is strange.

The midst of the night was chiller than any other time of the day. The dead silence in the air was not how a battle should have sound like, nevertheless a war. Not a single war cry did I hear.

A horrendous thought flashed through my mind.

No-- Don't tell me--!!

I rushed ahead of my comrades.

There, I beheld.

A lone figure clad in black stood on the quiet battlefield. Surrounding him, was the sight of bodies scattered on the ground, fresh blood still gushing out of their wounds. The dark night sky was dyed the shade of red, perhaps reflecting the colour of blood which was pooling on the soil.

I wonder if I should be elated that there's no knight of our kingdom among those bodies lying on the ground. Wait... Should I?

While I was pondering on so, that lone figure had turned his way around to face me, probably realizing my presence there.  Locking my eyes with him, thus, I witnessed.

"Cyan eyes."

It was the mixture of blue and green, the primary hue of nature. In the darkness, they gleamed like a ray of hope when everything seems to have fallen apart. The brightest hue of cyan, pierced through every scheme. When I saw those eyes, they simply gazed back at me.