Chapter 16

Hmm... What a long walk...
And attentions are pretty much on us.

Every single person we passed by, would look at us in contempt or show a meaningful smile. Even the servants were daring enough to whisper with each other, as if we are nothing but a joke.

I suddenly feels that my role might be that of a villainess if this goes on.

I see. So this is how you are welcoming us.

Just as I was fuming, I felt coldness from my surroundings. It instantly cooled down my rising anger. Regaining my calm, I realized.

Papa kept holding my hand since he escorted me out of the carriage. Perhaps I had tighten my grip unconsciously, out of vexation. Noticing my state of mind, he didn't say anything but simply calmed me down with his magic.

Right, no need to be so worked up about this. In the end, I'm still getting my engagement annuled! And that's a happy thing!

Since when was I such a weak-willed person? Nay! Such word doesn't exist in my dictionary!

I feel like a smile has appeared on my face. A smug one at that.

It was very timely as we had arrived at the venue for our audience with the King.

However, my smug face didn't last long. Not because I felt I should be solemn that I dropped my smile, but because I could sense the number of people present in the room. The oxygen usage in the room exceeds that of 10 people.

The question is; who else would be here to meddle in a mere engagement cancellation? Except for the involved parties and a few guards, there shouldn't be more than 10 of them.

Really, just who are they that have got so much spare time to participate in an event that doesn't concern themselves?

Oh, and now that I look closely... Isn't this the throne room?

...

Well, I guess this is normal.

...

"Maridis. Just look down on them." Papa said.

The remark was shocking enough to make me turned my head with my mouth agape.

But before I utter a sound, I perceived an emotion from father's expression.

Rage.

...He definitely looks ready to kill.

It is good that we are still outside or else, it will really turn into a bloodbath. My intuition can be trusted on this one.

He slowly inhaled. Letting out a few more long breath, he finally seemed rational.

BANG!

The loud sound echoes throughout the hallway.

The heavy metal door was punched. A dent was visible with one's own naked eyes. The guards were so shaken up they didn't dare make a sound, nevertheless issue a warning.

The hallway suddenly fell silent. Exceptionally quiet that you couldn't sense a single living being within the vicinity. As if the place was isolated.

...I guess it's true he's rational but not that he's calm.

Father turned around and looked at me. His eyes contained a trace of indignant with a mix of exhaustion. He seemed like he wanted to explain something, yet he held back at the last moment. Lowering his gaze, he remained silent.

I went ahead and stand beside him.

"It's OK, papa. I understand."
Yes, I truly understand.

Inviting nobles to participate in this occasion. What's more, it is an engagement annulment event. Only humiliation and condemnation will be left by the time everything is over.