Chapter 15

Somehow, I had expected those words coming before father even spoke.

I didn't mind but father was concerned about my feelings. He was worried that I kept my emotions bottled up in myself without anyone realizing it.

Hmm... How should I go about this...

I wonder what should I say to make papa not so rigid like this? With serious-typed people, we need to respond with the same sincerity or else they would feel much more uneasy. I can't pass this situation off with a joke.

As I strained my brain to think of a way to smooth the atmosphere, father suddenly said.

"Volmilargs have one common trait in each and every generation." I looked at father and saw him smiling at me.

Differed from his previous smiles that appeared slightly gloomy, the smile he wore now expressed his delight and devoid of any sadness he had shown.

"Can you guess what trait is it?" His smile brightened up to a grin.

I gawked at father's beaming smile that's obviously radiating ikemen aura.

What trait you asked? Isn't it your handsomeness? I mean, all my brothers inherited that gene for sure. And grandfather looks much younger than his actual age. Isn't that it?

THAT IS IT, RIGHT?

Now that the solemn ambience eased up, my urge to fangirl instantly resurfaced.

Also, papa! Don't you think your temper changed too fast!? Just the other moment you were acting like the last strand of light has vanished and the world is now enveloped in darkness full of sorrow. What, did we change script now!?

Of course, while all those thoughts ran amok in my head, my outward appearance was still that of a lady (maybe?).

To the me who remained silent (because I was internally fangirling) towards his question, father continued to speak.

"Maridis. You don't have to feel burdened." He said softly.
"Misunderstanding is very unlikely to occur in our family."

With a confidence parallel to his pride, he daringly laid out those words to comfort me.

"I get what you are trying to say, Maridis. Thank you for forgiving me." Caressing my cheek as he expressed his thanks, his improved mood became apparent.

"So you don't have to make such a conflicted face next time." He added.

...I never knew my facial muscles were that conceivable. Was this the reason why Arvische kept laughing in my presence? That's worrying. Also, papa. Stop radiating that ikemen aura.

Touching my cheek that was caressed, I lamented regarding this fact. Papa who saw my antics, just smiled.

Welp, he really smiles a lot today... I don't have sunglasses, what to do?

The sound of carriage wheels was not that audible in the first place but in our spare moment of silence it became fairly recognizable. The scenery outside had changed to a bustling town in the time we were not paying attention.

"The Volmilarg children are often said that they matured much earlier than most of their peers."

I was stunned for a second before realizing it was the answer for the question that he had asked.

I took a moment to think.

That was true. Even before I had received my past memories, I already mastered the three basics of reading, writing and calculating. When I don't understand anything, I'll learn it by asking my parents or my brothers. I don't think I'm so great to be named a genius, but I'm not particularly a studious person either.