- chapter seventeen

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

fade: chapter seventeen

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

SHE KNOWS IMMEDIATELY that it's a dream. It takes just one look to know exactly where she's at; atop the mountains just next to the facility where she worked for many years after her parents died. She's wearing the same clothes as she did the day she fled. Perhaps she should feel frightened, unsettled, but she does not. The wind is harsh against her exposed skin, quickly, she wraps her arms over her chest and heads down the hill towards the settlement where she once signed up to the first order. She doesn't know where else to go.

Something else catches her attention, a feeling so strong she almost feels sick. A pull towards a small hut assembled on the mountainside. With quick steps she walks over to it, warily pushing aside the piece of fabric hanging in the doorway. Her eyes grow wide at the sight of her brother, playing with some wooden figures. A rebel pilot and a princess, handmade by their father once. She recognizes them immediately.

He looks up at her as she steps inside, letting the fabric fall down behind her. His eyes light up with happiness. "You came back for me," he smiles. Florence sits down next to him, pulling him into a hug, face buried in his head of brunette curls.

"Of course I did," she holds him close, closing her eyes in an effort to memorize this moment. Feeling tears build in the corners of her eyes, she is quick to rid of them with her hand. "El-"

"It's okay, Flo, I forgive you. It wasn't your fault," he says. And it is the full truth. She has always blamed herself because she promised to protect him and she didn't keep that promise. But it wasn't her fault, not really. They were separated. She couldn't have protected him even if she wanted to.

          "You always were the best of us," she smiles. "The kindest, smartest, best brother in the whole wide world," she cups his face. "My Elio, I'm so sorry for all the pain you went through because of me."

He places a hand on her cheek. "I forgive you," he repeats, drying her tears away. She chuckles at the action. Gods has she missed him. For a moment she just holds him closely. "You must go, Florence," he says in a whisper. She pulls back from the hug and looks at him with a small nod. She figures she must carry on to see what this dream is trying to tell her but she pulls him closer once more, cherishing the embrace.

          "I love you," she says before she stands up, looking down at her brother. He continues to play with his figures as if it's nothing.

          Inhaling a deep breath, she walks outside. She no longer finds herself on the mountainside, but instead she finds herself outside of her old home. Their hut of a home to her left, looking as good as it ever did. She is just about to head inside as she hears a soft splashing and she turns around. Her mother is sat by the water, calmly rinsing off freshly picked berries.