- chapter twenty-three

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

fade: chapter twenty-tree

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

           LEAVING DOESN'T SEEM RIGHT. Florence has not forgotten the mission at hand, but she has grown awfully comfortable on Canto Bight. It's warm, it's noisy, sure, but she has felt safe. Most importantly, Lando has been nothing but kind to her. The luxurious life is not for her, she does not have the money nor the desire for it — but just for a few days, she has truly enjoyed it.

          Lando accompanies her out to the landing strip where his guy will be. Apparently he's someone who delivers and picks up stuff all over the galaxy. What those things would be, Florence is uncertain. Weapons, maybe. Or maybe something as easy as food, perhaps minerals. She will have to find out when she meets him.

        "Why must you stay?" She asks, turning her head to look at him as they walk down some stairs towards the beachside airstrip. She's almost afraid she might cry.

He smiles. He has truly come to like her company over the past three days. "If what you tell me is true, I have some things I need to do. But we will see each other soon, I promise."

She nods, accepting the fact that she cannot have everything she wants. She would feel safer with Calrissian taking her to the base, but she understands he has other business. Instead, smirks happily. "I can't wait. It has been a pleasure."

          "Pleasure has been all mine, kiddo. I see dozens of people every day but you have, by far, been one of the most enjoyable to be around."

          Florence is unsure fo what to reply — this is some of the highest praise she has ever gotten, she's caught off guard. A smile on her lips, she just looks at him; with grace, with thankfulness, with a kind of love a daughter would have for her father.

         Something seems to catch his eyes, a smile stretches across his lips "Ah, there he is. Trusty boy."

         She turns around to look at the man that's going to take her to the base and her breath catches in her throat. Surprise quickly turns to anger, boiling inside of her. She clenches her fists. Lex.

No. It cannot be real. She shakes her head, eyes closed shut in an attempt to wake up from what must be a nightmare.

But it is real. He is right there. She feels as if the air has been stolen from her lungs. Her heart skips a few beats in the worst sense possible. She feels dizzy, like she might throw up. The moment their eyes meet, he recognizes her as well. They both look older, but still very much the same. His frown turns into a smile; a horrible, wicked smile.