- chapter twenty

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

fade: chapter twenty

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

          IT HAS BEEN A WHILE, but Florence is finally ready to start properly working again. She has realized that shutting people out is not the way to go about this, it only brings her misery. So, early the next morning she gets up at the same time as Ben and they accompany each other as far as they can before she makes a turn to go and supervise stormtroopers in training. Things are not the same as they were, but they are at least a little less bad, and that is enough for now.

          Leaned over at the balcony railing, she mindlessly watches the troopers doing their target practice. She has never known any session like this to be anything other than rather boring. The troopers are conditioned from birth, meant to be flawless. Most of them are, with the exception of FN-2187.

          "You look exceptionally bored," Kez approaches her. Florence, admittedly a bit startled at his sudden appearance, chuckles lightly.

          "It's so quiet," she replies in a whisper. A wicked smile creeps onto her lips. "I'm about to lose my mind."

          Kez stifles a laugh. "I'll keep you company then," he joins her, elbows holding his weight as he leans over the railing, eyes scanning the troopers beneath them. Once, he was in their position. Never in the suits, but in one of these rooms, shooting until his fingers ached and ears were ringing.

          She glances at him. "Unless you have other duties that you're avoiding, I'd be incredibly glad to be in your company."

          He meets her eyes, looking a bit hesitant for a moment as he tries to figure if he should ask whatever question playing on his mind. Florence can easily guess what it is he wants to ask, so she nods his was as if urging him to just do it. "Where have you been?" He asks quietly.

          "I... took a bit of a break," she replies, looking out over the stormtroopers for a moment before her eyes travels to her hands as she picks away at her cuticles; a terrible habit she's developed recently. "I just needed some time."

          "Are you okay?" He asks, voice sincere and quiet as if he doesn't want anyone to overhear this conversation, which she greatly appreciates.

          A smile creeps onto her face, she looks at him with pure gratefulness. He truly is one of the best people she has ever known. Granted, she hasn't known a great many people in her life but he is one of the few who has ever asked her if she is truly and honestly okay and she treasures that immensely. "Yes, I am okay, truly. Thank you for your concern."