- chapter thirty-five

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

fade: chapter thirty-five

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

           FLORENCE MAKES HER WAY TO Ben who is sat slumped down on the flooring of the Death Star, steadying his breathing. He looks up to meet her gaze as he notices her approaching. "She's gone," he says, voice breaking. He looks out at the sea for some sort of comfort, but it doesn't offer him much. This place is horrible. He feels horrible.

         Florence nods, tears pricking at the corner of her eyes. "I know. I felt it," she points to her upper abdomen, kneeling beside him. He looks at her, eyes laden with tears. "As I felt your pain. We are connected, Ben. I don't understand how it works but I felt it. Right here," she extends her hand and gently brushes her fingers over the hole in his shirt.

         She can still feel it, a banging in that one same spot but she chooses to ignore it; it is at least bearable now. She slumps down beside him, exhaling a long breath. "I'm so tired," she says in a whisper. More than anything, she just wants this to be over so they can finally rest.

          Ben hums in response, silent for a moment before he turns to her. "We're gonna end this war, Florence." It is a promise, one that she has been waiting for him to make.

          There is something so utterly relieving about him saying it. Comforting. He has changed — she can see it in his eyes. There is no underlying darkness behind layers of infatuation. Just love. She lays her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes. He is soaking wet from the waves but it doesn't matter to her. "I love you," she whispers, tiredness woven in her words; but she is sincere. She has, perhaps, never loved him quite as much as she loves him just now.

          Ben runs his hands down his face, a soft groan escaping his lips. He has so many regrets, so many reasons to be hated by her and yet she is here, head softly placed on his shoulder. It's been too long since he felt her touch, he had almost forgotten how comforting it is to him. It makes him feel so many things at once; he is all messed up in the head from it. But in the best way possible, always. She brings out the best in him and she has been doing that to him since the moment they met. It was conflicting, mostly, but now he appreciates it more than he ever had. "I'm sorry for everything."

          "It's okay," Florence promises, sitting up properly. She looks at him, desperate for him to understand her the way she has always wanted him to. He has always been a deeply flawed man, and yet she loves him and has loved him for a long time. She knows he has never understood her but maybe now he will. "I have always been on your side. Even when I left, I wasn't abandoning you or my mission to get you to where you are right now. I would never give up on you because, Ben, you are a part of me. We are tied together that way, connected in a sense much deeper than just love."