Chapter 10: Technomancer

⚙️Chapter 10: Technomancer

A girl stared out the window of her factory home, the sounds of technology running whirring behind her. The sounds of gears grinding and machines clanking against one another also filled her ears as she examined the citizens down below. This was her every day life, and she was used to it already. Orderly scheduled events and no one stronger than her. That was all she knew, and would probably ever remember.

As she scanned the scenery down below, she checked her device to make sure no systems were malfunctioning or out of order. Everything was operational, which was good because she had a meeting to attend to in a few minutes. The girl put away her device, but kept watching the scenery below. Machines assisted the civilians as well as holographic forms and data boards, and electrical advertisements flashed around on billboards on buildings everywhere. The girl had control over everything here, and anyone who dared oppose her would immediately be terminated. It had happened before, and it could happen again.

Society in the past was corrupted, nasty, horrendous, and even if people COULD live in it, it was not the best way to run a community. It gave the wealthy ones the power over the poor, it paid almost no attention to those struggling and in need. It was also very selfish, as it never helped out other countries that weren't as well equipped. They sometimes forgot about the native creatures that never bothered with modern technology, those suffering from clean water and proper food. If a species was different from their norms, sometimes they would be discriminated against, as if society had set "rules" of what you could and could not do as a creature.

Heck, there was a book she'd read that said humans once put themselves in trillions of dollars of debt, and practically just "played pretend" with paper strips they THOUGHT had value but were actually backed by nothing. People and sea creatures alike destroyed the nature around them just for currency, without realizing the effect it might have on the planet, or to other creatures and the whole ecosystem.

According to her research, humans and the other sea creatures were disgusting.

In this world, everything would be in perfect order. All species would be treated with equity and justice. Your money did not matter, and if you made more than a certain amount per a set time, you would have to lend your money to poorer folk who could not afford as much as the rest of the creatures here. You could not trick the system, guards were there to keep it all in place. There was no more fighting, no more trash and litter, no more unfairness.

The nature has been mostly restored, though it was still moderated well. Several species were saved from extinction, and were being raised in captivity to increase their numbers. The ecosystem was often considered when there was expansion into new territory, even though the city was currently doing well enough to not require expansion. It just proved how well everything was working out, frankly. If only the species of the past had been smarter before they were all wiped out.

The girl sat on a spin-able chair, turning away from the window for a while. Well, things seemed to be doing alright outside, no large ruckus or anarchy starting up. She still had a while before she attended the meeting with the others within the factory. Perhaps there was something else she could do to fill the empty gap of time, instead of sitting around and being unproductive. After a few seconds, she landed on the decision to go through the cameras around the city.

She rolled herself over to a computer nearby, as there were several scattered around the whole factory. She logged on with a specific password and then started up a program. A lot of the city's programming was connected to this factory, though there were still plenty of backups and thought-out plans should one system fail. The girl then clicked a program, and reclined in the chair as she waited for it to start up. One con of living in a world like this was the issues with technology, but seeing as how the girl was a young genius, she figured she'd manage to make it speed up later.

When the program finally loaded, the girl got to searching each and every camera dotted around the city. There were some abandoned areas she new she didn't need to check, since the places hardly ever got any people. She inspected each scene closely as she searched the rest of the city however, watching the citizens through and advanced camera and zooming in on their features. Everyone seemed to be okay, nobody carrying foreign substances or weapons.

She then checked around the entrance area of the city. There were no new faces, simply the droids positioned there. Surely they would've acted if there was something wrong, and the girl would have gotten a notification about it. Just the scenery of the buildings and machinery as usual. Nothing new, all of it was still the same. It was kind of boring...

But then she saw eight brightly colored cephalopods enter through the gate. Quickly, she checked her device to see if these creatures were registered in any of the districts nearby. When she got no results, she focused in on them as much as she could. Their stats seemed to be pretty regular...but there was definitely something off about them. She would have to keep an eye out, and watch them carefully.

L1-V3 pressed a small button off to the side of her. Minutes later, a short, old male inkling appeared by the doorway. He was also a cyborg, and had been heavily modified with technology.

"What is it, my mistress?" he asked.

"We have new guests entering the city..."

L1-V3 pressed a different button on a remote control as she swiveled away from the screens.

"Let's send them a little welcome, shall we?"