Four

Of all the not so pretty colors in the world, the deep yellows, molded greens and cow manure browns, purple had to be the color she'd grown to despise. It used to be such a lovely color, and even though it still had a spot in her heart; she couldn't see herself looking at it the same.

Not the color, her kitchen floor or even her library card. Leah felt as if all her things were stained now. One day had left her distant from the things she loved; cooking, reading and even sleeping. There was too much going on for her to be comfortable.

The stone pendant hadn't soothed her and the barriers of her house hadn't been sturdy enough to keep unwanted visitors out. Home no longer felt like home. Something had to be done.

Leah sat on the couch, watching Beo gnaw at a giant bone. Her eyes were heavy with bags hanging below them. After the late night experience, she didn't dare go back to sleep. For hours after sweeping the powder and trying to convince Alice that everything was connected, she sat on her couch thinking. When she was denied of anymore conversation, she remain still in thought. Now the sun had began to rise up over the clouds of early morning, painting a delicious sky of cotton candy pinks and orange that peeked in the windows. Normally, Leah would have loved to catch the birth of a new day. Now she didn't really care.

There was a lot of her mind.

Between trying to figure out why the man or whoever had started such an ordeal, and trying to remain as calm as possible; focus was nearly unachievable. What should she even do about it? What could she? Her mind was running amuck. What could she possibly have done to anyone to have such a curse put on her? She was more of a keep to herself kind, not a go around pissing people off kind of person.

Cracking her neck, Leah leaned back. And then she asked herself a huge question that came with big baggage. Should she tell her family? Well she knew she could but an even better question was would she? They would no doubt protect her, and they might even send a message to the person responsible. But was it worth it? Would it be worth the ever so blinding topic that seemed to make her soul gag?

Leah cringed and rubbed her eyes. As her hands dropped to her lap she gave Beo a half smile, "Maybe I should just run away." He licked his lips before he went back to his bone.

"Now that's an idea." Alice popped from the hallway, running her fingers through tangled hair. She ambled to a living room chair and sat, a yawn escaping her mouth. "Who came up with it?"

Leah crossed her arms, "Me."

"A bit dramatic don't you think?"

"You have anything better?"

"If it's that serious to you, why don't you tell someone?"

"Like who?"

Alice scowled, "I'll give you two guesses and the first doesn't count."

Leah groaned and shook her head. It boiled her having her friend try to talk her into it. "No."

"You say you feel unsafe but you just won't do what you might have to do to feel safe."

"I feel threatened. I'll be damned in a haystack before I feel a threat from inside my home, every single day. I mean, this is ridiculous!"

Alice rolled her eyes, "So what now?"

Leah sucked her teeth and swallowed a thought whole. She tapped her teeth together and a shiver walked up her spine. "Well, I guess I'll start looking for a new place."

Just saying it felt weird. She had lived in her little cottage home and put in work for years. The place wasn't huge nor was it full of updated appliances with million dollar price tags. But it was home. At least it used to be.