Thirteen

Once she had showered, gathered her things and scarffed some toast Daniel had forced her to eat, Leah found herself in the cab of the truck somewhat nervous for what was to come. They were about to have easy access to one of the hardest things she'd have to do- talk to him or stop him in his tracks. Either way it went, no matter how difficult it was, she hoped it would actually help.

The person, the reason and the solution was what she needed to figure out. It was pretty bold tracking him down, but it had to be done. They had to start somewhere or may she forever be victim to the curse.

Leah rolled her eyes back until her head hit the headrest. There was so much anxiety brewing in her, steaming up the scenarios her mind began to conjure up. What if he tries to hurt me? What if he has weapons? What if this is all just a part of his plan? It was driving her crazy and she wasn't even at the library yet.

Daniel's hand went on her shoulder, shaking her slightly, "Stop thinking so much you'll only upset yourself. "

She opened her eyes, tilting her head at him, "How did you know?"

The truck came to to a stop at a red light and he zoned in on her, "Your eyebrows scrunch together when you're thinking too much."

The fact that he had paid attention enough to pick up on probably one of her worst habits made her feel a genuine concern emitting from him. It made her ease her tense shoulders against the seat and glance at him with truthful eyes. "I can't help it. I'm so nervous about this whole thing. I mean, are we really hunting this guy down?"

"Like a bear hunts for fish," he moved his hand to hers shaking in her lap, opening it up to reveal the crystal. The skin on her palm was redder than a cherry from holding on to it so tight. He boldly rest his over it, fingers sliding between hers, "I've got your back. As far as he's concerned you are fearless, got it?"

Leah sighed and admired the simplest touch from him, "I guess I could try." Her hand was raised up as he pulled it towards him, teasing her, "Try? The Tamanaka don't try they do."

Yes, she knew. Her family had a very "just do it" kind of attitude, at least they did before the accident. There was no second guessing or try again later, it was all about going for what they wanted and never settling for less. That attitude had stuck with her a little bit, most likely responsible for why she had what she had to her name. But it wasn't with her completely anymore. Now The only thing she had left to remember them was that awful memory.

Her hand was squeezed and she tore her attention to Daniel, who was gawking away. She groaned, "Okay, okay. Can I Have My hand back now?"

Hesistant to let go, he held her hand tightly and close to his face. The glisten of sunlight danced in his deep brown eyes. Something much different than an awkward moment passed through the truck before he slowly returned her hand to her lap and retracted back to the steering wheel.

The Light turned green and he gassed the truck forwards, turning back to focus on the road. Leah bit her lip and rolled her window down in the hopes of cooling her flushing cheeks. Despite her nerves being on edge, she couldn't help but imagine Alice being extremely gung-ho about her being so content with him. She'd probably make a few wedding jokes and finally get off her back about being so isolated.

But it was just for the time being. He'd help her as much of the way as possible before prancing back to Elk Village and resuming his life. It wasn't like they were going to always be inseparable.

She pulled her hair away from her face and inhaled the fresh air- or at least the smell of jam packed bistros and fast food places. When the sizzling scent of french fries crawled up into her nose she knew they were there. Sure Enough, he parked the truck in front of the burger joint that neighbored the library.