Nine

Just saying the words out loud created an electrical vibration down her neck. A dozen elephants trampled on her chest, her heart pulsating beneath it's cage.

Leah stared at Daniel.  She couldn't believe she was partially confiding in him. They hadn't even known each other for twenty four hours. Maybe it was the fact that he was Native like her, or maybe it was because even though he knew about crafting he wasn't as spooked about it as her; or nonchalant as Alice.

She had to stop herself from the latter. Alice did care, she just didn't want the dark park of her blood to be real. She kept most of her past, and the things she had seen growing up locked away. Besides, as opposite as the two could be, Alice was still her best friend. Too bad Leah couldn't keep her past locked away as tight as she did.

Daniel blinked slowly, "Do you know anyone who would want to hurt you?"

Her hands rubbed together, "I have one person in mind. I don't know him, but he seems to think he knows me, or at least follow me."

"He's stalking you?"

"I think so. He's the reason I was driving that night. I had to get away and I felt like if I came home he would be here too."

"Does he know where you live?"

Did he? Was it him who spooked Beo or left the symbol on her laptop? And when she felt uneasy was it because he was watching her?

"He might." Leah put the book on her coffee table and gulped, catching a glimpse of his posture. To her, he didn't seem too convinced. She leaned back, "But I guess I need proof, right?"

He leaned forwards resting his elbows on his knees, "Right now you need assurance. You need some sort of protection."

"I have a dog."

"No, not just manpower. We should try crystals, weaves, anything."

She had tried a crystal and a prayer. And then it happened again. If something was going to stop it all, it was going to need to be stronger. Unfortunately, the only people she knew who had girth to their crafting were her family. The ones who lived in Elk Village, scowls on their faces when she imagined them. Seeking out help from them was pretty much crossed out. She would have to find another way.

"I don't know if that will be enough."

"it's a start, right?"

"Yeah but Daniel," she stood up and crossed her arms, "These things seem so violent, like they're sending me a message about my fate."

"Like what?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out." Her lip quivered before she could end her sentence. Turning her head, she hoped it would go unnoticed.

Daniel flattened his lips and exhaled with sympathy, "Don't let it eat at you."

"Too late," she met his sight with wet green eyes. Behind them there was so much anguish and confusion and a lot of negativity.  It didn't look like her grass was going to get any greener afterall. She felt pathetic being so emotional.

In a kind gesture, Daniel rose to her side and rest a hand on her shoulder, "Not yet." He gave her a reassuring smile,  pausing for a moment. He found it a little odd as well, being idea deep in a conversation about heritage with a girl he'd just met. The color in his eyes jumped as a knock on the door echoed through the den.

Leah skipped a beat and quickly pulled her shoulder from beneath his rather warm touch, gliding to the door. Her hand was just touching the handle when she remembered hardly anyone ever knocked on her door. Who could it possibly be?