Fourteen

Leah couldn't believe it, the man who'd brought such an intense spook to her world was actually from the same tribe as her. His heart pumped blood from ancient natives just like hers. Realizing it caused a strange itching sensation in her veins, leaving her wanting to claw at the skin she wore. It was another slap in the face, she just couldn't catch a break.

Her body still uneasy and mouth as dry as a desert, she stared at the Guardian bracelets hoping they'd disappear. But it was no use, the evidence remain on him.

Oxygen poured into her lungs as she tried to figure out what to say, what to do, or how to keep her body from toppling over.

"This can't be real," she whispered.

Simon lifted his chin and crossed his arms, the side of his face turning red, "Oh but it is, Every single bit of it."

"You did this."

"Absolutely not."

"Don't feed me that crap! You started something that day at the library and I am here to end it! I'm not afraid of you and I'm not going to let this continue," her eyes blazed and her voice shook, "it's over."

Simon fetched a breath and looked her square in the eye, a powerful strain connecting his energy to hers. "I'm afraid it's far from over, Leah."

"Why are you doing this to me?!" A shrill voice, desperate for answers screeched from Leah as she hunched at him. "What did I ever do to you, huh? Why did it have to be me?" Her vocals were unsteady, croaking randomly and her eyes filled with hot tears.

"I can't sleep, eat, or think without this awful magic poisoning me. My patience is wearing thin, Mr. Ellis. I really hope that whatever kick you're getting out of this is worth it." She remembered what Daniel had told her about being fearless to him. "Because if you don't put an end to this, I'll put an end to you."

"Are you threatening me?"

"Are you going to leave me alone?"

"I told you, I can't."

"Then yes, I am."

"Leah," Simon lowered his brows and stepped across the threshold, hands reaching towards her. His motion caused Daniel to react protectively and he stepped between them, burrowing his sight into the stranger, "You touch her and I'll break your hands off."

"Relax. I don't want to hurt her."

"Save your lies for someone who will believe them. Why don't you Crack your little book open and break the curse before something on you gets broken?"

Leah gawked at Daniel in amazement. She knew he'd said he'd help her and knew his tribal blood could boil even more than hers; but she didn't expect to see such a mask unveil over his face. His jaws flexed, brows hung low over fireball eyes while his nose seemed to be blowing out smoke. There was a lot of fury under his deep tan skin, and it was damn sexy.

But her moment hit a wall, and she ripped her attention to Simon as his voice pronounced something that twitched her interest.

"What book?"

She stepped close to Daniel, "The one you checked out from the library. The Tamanaka book of Capturing, Captivating and Communicating."

His feet moved backwards until he balanced on the edge of his doorway, "I've never... oh dear... I believe this is much worse than I thought it would be." He bore his sight at her, "You are in grave danger Leah. I know, it's hard to believe me but you must know I mean you no harm."

She looked at Daniel, brows high on her forehead. Despite her hatred for the man she'd been sure was responsible for the days of her life she'd lost, there was a pinch in her gut that made her want to believe him. As a person who tended to analyze, she couldn't help but catch something flicker in his eyes. But as a victim, the last thing she wanted to do was be blind to the truth.