Twenty

It replayed, over and over again like an awful horror movie. Each time around growing more faint. Soon, emerald eyes opened revealing something more calming than what she'd just experienced. Her bedroom.

Leah sighed. Hopefully most if not all of it was a bad dream. She really didn't want it to be real, especially the part about Daniel.

Her heart ached remembering the things he said to her, the look in his eyes and what he'd called her. Had it actually happened or was it just a trick like with Alice? And what about the bracelets? Was it Simon who had rescued her, or was he just a part of it all even if he swore he wasn't?

There was only one way to find out.

Leah yawned and rolled over, but stopped short when she saw another body in her bed. Rough facial stubble and a bone structure to die for, Daniel lay passed out next to her. She panicked, unsure of what was real; and gasped as she threw herself off the bed.

Her rear end hit the ground with a thud as she held her chest. There was a stirring on the bed before Daniel leaned over the side and peered down at her, "Hey! What's wrong?"

"What's wrong?" She rubbed her head, "Why are you sleeping in my bed?!"

He sighed and pulled his body to the edge of the bed revealing a once again shirtless upper body, "Because you asked me to."

"When?!"

He put his hands on his knees, "When you woke up screaming. That's when."

Leah rubbed her eyes. She certainly didn't remember going back to sleep let alone asking him to join her in her bed. The line between what she remembered and what may have actually happened was thicker than it should have been and her pounding head needed answers.

Pulling her post-sleep hair from her face, she brought her body from the ground and stepped to the edge of the bed, "I don't remember that at all. As a matter of a fact all I can remember is pretty brutal and to be honest, I don't know what's real."

Daniel chewed his lip and tossed the comforter off his legs, sliding them to the side of the bed, "Well why don't you start by telling me why you ran away."

"So that was real?"

"Hell yeah it was real Leah, you scared me to death you know!" He hopped off the bed and stood, cracking his neck, "Why did you do it? Why did you run from me?" His voice was painted with a tone of irritation. It partially caused her to grow defensive. He had no idea what was going on inside her head. Who's fault is that, stupid?

She hissed through her teeth, "I scared you half to death? Really because I remember a certain someone calling me a native slave and scaring the crap out of me!"

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. You have no right to be upset with me, I ran away because of you!"

"That's not true."

Another voice entered the room, making her heart skip a beat or two. Pointing her attention to the doorway, Leah recalled what she had seen before the darkness came. Guardian bracelets. Maybe it really had been him. She stuttered on air, "S-Simon?"

He nodded and crossed into the room, looking serious and worn out, "You didn't run away because of him, Leah. It was all a very sick part of this crafting."

"It was?"

"They're so hungry for your life, they want you isolated and weak. That was all in your head, trust me."

Leah gulped and scrunched her face into an emotional expression. It wasn't just enough to be afraid anymore, now her body was laced with anger, guilt and hopelessness. Especially the guilt at that point, she looked across to find Daniel with a still face and troubled eyes. It made her want to eat her own words.