Eighteen

Silent.

The truck ride home was silent. Leah couldn't go back to sleep still feeling the creepy crawlies all over her. But ever since she confessed her dire desperation for Daniel, she couldn't bring herself to break the silence.

Not when they got back to her house.

Not when they sat down with tea.

And not even when she quietly excused herself to shower- or cry in the shower.

There was guilt in her gut knowing she was denying him of any insight about what was going on in her head. Not to mention she felt it was rude to distance herself from her hero. So after she cried it out, showered and got dressed, she decided she would try her very best to at least speak to the guy.

As her open den came into view, Leah felt the heat in her cheeks when she saw a very shirtless Daniel rummaging through his bag on the couch. The dimples in his back made her bare toes curl. She bit down on her lip, watching his muscles twitch with every move. The man was a real deal. Most of the men she'd ever encountered that looked good had terrible attitudes, but not him. Thank God.

But if she thought her cheeks were red just from looking at him she was in for a rude awakening when he turned, and they caught eyes hard.

It was a spine tingling moment that trumped the negative vibes running through her body. Her breath grew short, palms sweaty and her heart was dancing the night away. With a blushing face, she crossed her arms over her thumping chest.

"Hey. I thought you went to bed?"

Leah exhaled, "No, I just needed to shower." And cry.

Daniel flexed his body over and grabbed a t-shirt from his bag before draping it over his chest. Fully clothed, his eyes pouted at her, "Are you feeling better?"

"Not really. But what's new?" She walked to the couch and sat down, pulling her knees up to her chest. Eyes of the greenest grass peered at him as her nose picked up on the scent of men's soap. "All clean?"

"Squeaky. Your guest shower water boils."

"I guess I should have warned you."

He moved his bag to the coffee table before sitting down, "Yeah but that would have required you talking to me."

It hit her like a lightning bolt. Guilt. She wrapped her arms around her legs, hoping her words didn't get tangled, "I'm sorry about that. I, I guess I didn't know what to say after what happened."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I just felt... awkward."

Daniel put his arm on the back of the couch and turned his body to face her, "Leah, you don't have to feel awkward. I told you before, I'm a nobody."

"You're not a nobody. You saved my life and you haven't left my side yet," her emotions were gulped down as she tried to focus on whatever she could summon, "I guess I don't want to ruin that. Not just because I don't want to be alone, but because I've lost too much already."

When she spoke of her loss it was irrelevant how much she tried to control her emotions, the memories caused her eyes to glisten instantly. Leah sighed, "It amazes me how you stick through me. I'm a handful."

Daniel huffed, relocating directly beside her and reached his arm behind her on the couch, "You're not a handful, you're just overwhelmed. You're going through a lot, Leah. You need someone right now."

"Im just scared one day it's gonna be to much and next thing I know, I'm alone."

"I made you a promise didn't I?"