Twenty Three

"Leah?"

Adamo Edenwood was aged now and not at its best. He had wrinkles around his eyes, probably from smiling to hide the pain and he had speckles of gray in his hair. His chin was dusted with scraggly hairs he needed to shave but his skin looked so fragile and dry. Still a brick wall of a man, his broad shoulders held form beneath a plaid flannel and his long legs were thick under black denims. His hands were still working hard and still didn't look soft. But his eyes told it all.

He was very surprised to see his daughter standing before him, maybe even more surprised than her. Brown swirls of eyes were close to becoming moist, but he seemed to force them away.

She felt responsible for such a handsome man looking so worn out. It could've been from working hard and she still would feel like the blame was in her name.

Leah shivered even without a cool to touch her. "You, you look good."

Adamo's attempt to hide his emotional face failed and his lip quivered, "Are you really here?"

She nodded, "I know, it's been too long."

"Why, why now?"

Oh because I'm cursed and I need answers. Know anything about it?

"I guess it was long overdue."

Leaving the gentlemen in the truck, taking the biggest breathe she could, Leah let herself step inside and when she did her body felt heavier than the world itself. Though her father had changed much of the home appearance, it felt the same to her. She was under the roof of her childhood home and face to face with him; each these things she'd never thought would ever happen again.

The wooden floor was barely visible with the many collections of hand-made rugs, most with thick weaves of orange somewhere in the patterns. A stone fireplace was blanketed in dust, old half burned logs giving off the scent of their age. As her eyes scanned continuously, Leah noticed a collection of different shaped mirrors hanging on the opposing side of the fireplace. And a royal painting of wild horses that took up most of the longest wall of the living room. Her heart stuttered as she sat on an over cushioned couch, watching Adamo place himself on a chair older than she was.

Slowly crossing her legs and arms, she watched his aged frame settle into his seat, "You still have that old thing?"

He gleamed and pat the arm rests, "I couldn't get rid of trusty dusty. It's a good memory."

Good memories were all over the place. But it was still hard to see through the grime that existed in the crevices. She felt her stomach tighten. Catching up would have to be quick, there were answers that needed to be solved. However, her old man seemed more interested on learning about his daughter all over again and her heart couldn't help but try to give in.

"So, where are you living now?"

Leah didn't budge. Could she tell him without feeling tied to some sort of obligation to return? Was it wrong to even question rekindling their father-daughter bond? After everything was back to normal, would it feel different? Leah pushed herself to respond, "Not far from here at all."

"You don't want to tell me?"

"I, I just wanted to see you."

He slid to the edge of his seat, "Why are you really here, Leah? Be honest." There was a kindness in his eyes but creeping up behind it, there was a trail of frustration. If only he knew how hard it was for her to even speak. If only he knew the truth.

She bit her lip, "That's not an easy question to answer."

"Yes it's very simple, you just tell me."