Seventeen

The ride back home seemed to take longer than before. Or maybe it was from being so exhausted. Either way, Leah had found herself fatigued. Bundled beneath a blanket that smelled like coffee beans, she sat curled up watching the lights pass by. They were getting closer to home, closer to anxiety.

She rubbed her eyes and readjusted, turning to face her driver. He was so quiet it made her ponder what he could be thinking about. Unless he thought she was sleeping again. She reached out and nudged him.

Daniel peeked over, "Still up?"

Her long lashes fluttered, "Barely."

"You should try to rest."

"But we're almost there. There's no point in trying to sleep, I'll just have to wake back up anyways."

"I wouldn't wake you."

"Oh so we're just gonna sleep in here?"

"How do you think I got you from the floor to the couch? Telekinesis?"

Leah sighed and lifted her head, "Maybe?"

"I carried you goofball."

"Does your back still hurt?"

He smirked and rose a brow, looking enchanting in the lights of the city. "You're not that heavy, trust me. I've carried you from my truck before, remember?"

The night they'd gone for pizza. He was right. She'd passed out in the truck after crying herself to sleep and yet woken up in her bed. What a Hercules. Surely he worked out.

She sucked in air, "I almost forgot."

"Just a friendly reminder," he rose an arm and curled it up to flex, "Hercules is here." He had stolen the words right out her mouth. He'd also caused her to reminisce just how many times he'd saved her butt, or coaxed her. Just by being around he was a big help by keeping her company. She wondered if it were a good idea getting so accustomed to him being there, seeing as he did have a life to return to eventually. One day she'd wake up and there wouldn't be a note. Her throat pushed a lump down.

Leah pushed his arm down and sat up straight, "Yeah but one day you'll be back home, working the day away."

"Well when you put it like that, it makes me not want to go back."

Chills scattered her body and she looked out the windshield. Was it selfish to not want him to leave? Yes it's very selfish.

"I was just saying." The tone in her voice was obviously disappointed. It stung the air like a bee in a silent night. She swallowed and folded the blanket off her chest.

Daniel glanced over at her, watching her hands fumble around on her lap. He sighed and reached his hand out, stopping her from fiddling.

Leah avoided him and turned her head out her window, pulling her hands away and slowly bringing the blanket back up to her chest.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she lied, "Just tired."

--

The truck had been silent on both ends for the remainders of the drive. Leah was fighting sleep, but wasn't winning the battle and had been dozing in and out the entire time. She could have swore she felt the truck arrive somewhere but hadn't had enough energy to check.

Not until she didn't feel any movement or hear the engine. Peeling her eyelids open she blinked to adjust her vision. They had in fact pulled in somewhere but it wasn't her home. Lot lights buzzed overhead and distant business lights shone in the night. She arched her back stretching before sitting up and taking in more of her surroundings.