Sixteen

It was all slowly going to come together, at least that's what Simon had promised. There would be justice at the end of the tunnel, all she had to do was keep fighting.

And Leah was determined.

Her world had quickly gone from calm and boring to exciting in the worse possible way, but it came with two surprisingly helpful strangers.

Daniel. She couldn't believe that a guy pulling over over some hazard lights was really committing his personal time to aid her. He didn't have to, a fact she had reminded him many times; and each he reminded her he "was raised right." Not to mention he was growing more attractive each time they met eyes, or he touched her.

And then there was Simon.

He had played the part of the guilty first, and now he was one of the biggest links to the solution. After yet another reassurance that he had never brought danger to her, checked any book out or wanted to give up- she couldn't help but be thankful. He could have easily ended his trial of protection especially after she hit him, but he didnt. For that, she thanked her lucky stars.

At least the ones that hadn't burnt out yet.

Though she had found some saviors in her swirling storm, a negative energy still lurked around and she couldn't shake it. But she would try for herself, and her dear father.

Adamo Edenwood had never voiced a verdict about her when the accident happened. He had changed, but who hadnt? His wife was dead and the only person who had been there was his daughter. Despite him still telling her he loved her, she never got over the change in the house and when she had the chance she ran. She couldn't live with the constant reminder of her similar looks, or her witnessing the... accident. Leah ran far and quick, never contacting anyone again.

Now she felt heavier in memory of her childhood and her family. Maybe one day...

--

Leah stood against the doorway and crossed her arms. Simon was standing over his desk, studying the book she'd brought to his attention. The last time she saw him she swore she'd kill him, not that they'd be on the same side.

But she was still curious about some things. Before she could announce her presence, he lifted his head, "How's your head feeling?"

She pushed from the doorway and stepped inside, "It's still a little, well you know."

He closed the book and turned to her, firm face catching a new light, "It won't last forever, it'll heal before you know it."

"I'm sure."

He looked concerned, "What's on your mind?"

Leah glanced at the book on the desk. He looked back at it before circling back, "Ah I see. I suppose you have some curiosities?"

"I just don't understand why it was in my house, you know? Or why it lead me to you for that matter."

"My guess is someone was hoping it would be a distraction, or that you'd take me out. You do have a hell of a right hook."

"So you think this was a setup?"

Simon nodded, "It's very possible. They can see a lot once they cloak you."

Leah bit her lip, "That's comforting."

He waltzed to a book shelf and grabbed a small box before turning to her, "It'll get better, I told you. Here, I have something for you." His hands opened it and retracted a long gold necklace. It reflected the light and drew her in like a moth, "Its pretty."

"Thank you, it was going to be my daughters birthday present."

"Going to be?"

"She died a few years ago, her car was hit by a drunk driver. I never got a chance to give it to her."

Sadness struck her heart. Leah felt a zap of sympathy for him and uncrossed her arms, "I'm sorry to hear that, I'm sure she would have loved it."

"Me too. But I think I'd like you to have it."

"I can't take that, it's special."

"Leah, look," he held up the locket that decorated it, "There's blessed garnets in here. My daughter was having trouble sleeping during exams, I got her this to help."

"Which is another reason I cant-"

"I want you to have it. Maybe you'll be able to get some rest tonight. It's doing me no good. Please take it."

She pursed her lips, "Are you sure? "

"Positive," Simon grew close and took her hand, pouring it into her palm before closing her fingers over it, "From someone else's father to someone else's child." He smiled.

"I have to ask you something."

He let her hand go and awaited patiently. Somehow it was as if he knew what she was about to question him. There was a pause as Leah wiggled the necklace in her hand, "How did you know about my father?"

Simon eased his shoulders, "The soul map revealed your bond. He didn't believe what happened was your fault. He still doesn't to the day, but he misses you an awful lot."

Thinking about her father living his life with absolutely no contact from his only daughter made her feel guilty for running away. She imagined his gentle face with a deep sorrow in his beautiful eyes. If he hurt still, she was partially to blame. But I couldn't stay there.

Her eyes grew moist, "I don't know what to say to that."

"Don't say anything. Just keep him in your heart and fate will do the rest. Now, you should really be going soon, the sun can't light up the sky forever."

She nodded, wiping her eyes.

"Anyone home?" Daniel popped his head in the door way, a faint smile on his lips.

Leah turned quickly and tried to force a smile back at him. Her heart was still heavy under thoughts of Simons loss and her father, but she was glad to see him. She always was. Slowly she approached him and leaned against the frame, "Are you almost ready?"

He nodded, puffing his chest, "I was just coming to look for you. I cleaned out the truck can you believe it?"

"Shocker." She teased.

His grin made her insides sigh, "I have a blanket if you want to get some rest on the drive back. It's clean I promise."

"That's a good idea," Simon approached them and pat them both on their shoulders, "I'll walk you out."

--

Truck roaring in the background, the sun just a faint bulb behind the trees, Leah opened the passenger door and turned to bid farewell. Simon stood at the edge of the walkway, humble as ever. She was still shocked by the turn of their contact.

"Thank you again, I mean it."

"You're welcome. I'm only a phone call away, and I mean that too."

She nodded and grabbed the seat about to climb inside when she turned back to him, "And thank you again for the necklace."

He held on to the door and nodded, "Itll look good on you."

Daniel shut his door and leaned over the seat, "You'll call if you find anything out?"

Simon waved to him. "Sure will," he helped Leah climb up into the truck before closing her door for her. Peeking in the open window he mumbled one last thing to her, "And so does he." His eye winked at her before he scoot back allowing them to part ways.

Abashed, she waved goodbye to him. It wasn't going to be a forever kind of goodbye. They were on the same team now. Soon enough, they'd join forces and defeat whatever or whoever wanted her... well... dead.