Chapter 12

Marco

I run into the bathroom and find Chucky. I'm surprised at what I see; he is laughing up a storm. I look at him, confused, and it makes him laugh even more. I start to laugh myself, and before I know it, we are cracking up so hard that we are doubled over.

"How was the show?" Chucky laughs.

"Seriously, that was all for a show?"

"I mean, yeah. Karolina is right though my dad doesn't want me."

"Damn, man, I'm sorry about that," I say.

"Don't be. My sperm donor checked out on me a long time ago. He has a whole new family. I have siblings I've never met."

"When is the last time you've seen your dad?" I ask.

"Umm, I don't know, maybe sometime last year. He came by for my birthday a month late mind you. He stayed for like ten minutes, gave me a gift, and took off."

"You know what Chucky? You're better off without him. It's his loss. He is missing out on getting to know an amazing dude!"

"I'm pretty cool, ain't I.," he says with a massive grin. "Let's go eat. I mean to pick some fruit.

We go and find everyone, and my dad lifts his chin to me, and I give him a thumbs up. Katrina is pulling a wagon with some buckets in it. I take the cart from her and pull it on to the walking path. We walk about fifteen minutes until we see thousand of fruit bushes and trees. Karolina bends down in front of me a dozen times, and I ignore her every time, and I can tell it bugs the fuck out of her. We pick and eat tons of fruit. I look over at Chucky and Joey, and they are both stained with reds, blues, and purples from all the fruit they've eaten. It has been a fantastic day, and I don't want it to end because then I will have to deal with the sorrow that tomorrow will bring. We spend another hour looking at the gift shop while we wait on the pies we bought. I carry the now sleeping Joey to the truck for Tony and Yolanda; he had the best day. Aww, to be a kid again.

"Ready to get back on the bike?" I ask Katrina.

"Yes, I am." She says with a massive smile on her face.

"Hold on; I have to ask my dad something," I say as she is getting her gear on. I walk over to our dad's who are chatting while Chucky and Karolina go use the bathroom. "Hey, Tony tomorrow I was going to take a ride up the coast on my bike for my mom's birthday, I was wondering if it would be okay if I take Katrina with me?"

"What do you think, Miguel? Should I trust him?' Tony jokes with my dad.

"Yeah, he's cool." My dad laughs.

"Yes, you can take Katrina." He says. he shakes my hand. "Take care of her, huh?"

"Yes, sir!" I smile.

"Take Katrina, where?" Karolina asks from behind.

"None of your business, nosey ass." Chucky laughs.

"Chucky, get your ass in the car." Tony laughs.

"I'm taking her out for the day tomorrow," I say. "Okay, we are going to take off now. We will meet you back at the house."

I get back to Katrina, and she looks at me, wondering what just happened.

"What was that about?" she smiles.

"I just asked your dad if I can take you out tomorrow."

"You did? What did he say?"

"He said no," I say.

"Wait, what?" she asks, alarmed. I give her a huge hug.

"I'm joking; he said yes," I say.

We drive back, and I love every second of having her hugging me for dear life. Once we get back to her house, we make plans for me to pick her up in the morning. I am exhausted, but I am hungry — my dad orders pizza when we get home. We eat in the living room while we watch MMA fighting. My dad keeps looking at me.

"What's up, Pa?" I ask

"Don't be mad at me," he says.

"What? Just tell me."

"I'm taking a flight tonight."

"Where to?"

"I'm going to Connecticut. I need to go to the cemetery to see mama."

"Am I going too?"

"No, Hijo, I need to do this alone."

"Wow, didn't you think I wanted to go see her?" I say, and I can't hide my anger or my tears. "I'll see you when you get back!"

"Don't be like that, Hijo!" He yells as I storm out of the room.

"Have a safe trip," I say as I close my bedroom door.

I lay in my bed, and I am excited and dread the day to come. I feel like a dick for treating my dad like that, but I want to see mama at the cemetery. I know she is not there, but it comforts me.

I fall asleep with tears falling onto the pillow. I miss my mama.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading?

Please don't forget to comment and vote!