Chapter 20

Marco

"Sonia!" I yell out.

Chucky looks over at me, and realization dawns on his face.

"Mom is Miguel, your boyfriend?"

"Carlos, we are not talking about this right now," she says.

"Well, I want to talk about this," I say. "Put my dad on, please. I have a question first how long have you been seeing my dad?" Praying her answer is a short time.

"Two years, you should talk to your father, Marco. Let me grab him." The phone gets muffled, and I see my dad on the screen. My heart is broken.

"You were seeing her when Mama was alive," I yell, and I feel arms around me. It's my girl trying to comfort me.

"Yes, but it's not what you think. Mijo, please listen to me."

"Looks like you cheated on your dying wife and got another woman pregnant."

"BASTA! We will not talk about this here. We will discuss this when I get home. "

"Fine." I push the off button and look at Chucky and Katrina. "This is fucked up. Chucky, you didn't know it was my dad?"

"No, I had no idea that they were dating. This is so weird, but we get to share a sibling. I'm sorry, man, I know that this hurts more for you."

"Baby, I'm sorry about this. I can't believe what I was hearing. Maybe Chucky and I should leave." Katrina says.

"Yeah, I'm going to hit the road. Trina, you want me to walk you home?" Chucky says, walking to the door.

"Katrina, I need you, can you stay with me, baby?"

"Yes, of course, but I need to be home by ten." She says, kissing my cheek.

"I will get you home on time. I promise."

We go back to my room, and I turn on the TV, and we watch True Blood. I'm not very good company, but she still snuggles against me. She knows I'm hurting, and I thank god I'm not alone tonight. My phone rings, and I decline every single call from all of my siblings. I know that they won't stop until I answer, but I won't do that until I drop her home.

"Penny for your thoughts." She says quietly.

"I can't believe he cheated on my Mama when she needed him the most."

"Was he gone a lot?

"He would go on business trips once a month, and a nurse would come and help us with Mama. I don't want to hate her because of Chucky, but I wonder if she knew about my mom?"

"Wow, babe, I don't even know what to say."

"Don't say anything, kiss me." I grab her to me. She is on top of me, kissing me crazy. We kiss until we are breathless. I look at the time, and I have ten minutes to get her home. "We should go now."

"Okay, I'm ready when you are."

We take the truck this time when I drive her home. I pull into the driveway. Her dad is putting out the trash. He comes over to the truck, and I roll down the window and put my hand out to shake his hand.

"Hey Marco, do you think you can give Joey and Katrina a ride in the morning to school? I have a meeting early in the morning."

"Sure thing. Would it be okay to take Joey for ice cream after school? I sort of promised him this morning."

"Of course, thank you for offering. Katrina, time to say goodbye, okay." He says, walking back into the house.

"What time do you want me to pick you up, baby?"

"Seven forty-five is good. Is it okay if Chucky comes with us?"

"Sure, it is. We are practically family now." I try to joke, but it doesn't land.

"Aww, babe, I'm sorry." She says, and the light on the front porch flash on and off. "He's not subtle at all." I laugh and reach over and kiss her. "See you in the morning."

"I look forward to it," I say, kissing her one more time. She gets out and runs to the porch, and I wait until she is in the house to drive away.

I get home and jump in the shower. My thoughts are a jumbled mess, and I cry out of frustration and sadness. Today was amazing until it wasn't, and I am trying to make sense of it. I climb into bed and push play and watch the rest of the episode we were watching. I look at my phone on my nightstand. I pick it up and listen to voice mail after voice mail telling me to give my dad the benefit of the doubt. I roll my eyes at them all. I listen to the last one. It's from my dad.

"Hijo, please, I love you so much. I never meant to hurt you. You are my whole world, son. I would like to talk to you in person and tell you everything. Have a great first day at school. I love you, and I will speak to you when I get home."

I grab the extra pillow on my bed and hug it to me. It smells like Katrina, and I smile. It makes me feel calm. I have never had anyone except Mama, and Sonia they would always make me feel so calm.

I'm falling hard.

__________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading

Please remember to comment and vote!