Chapter 19

Marco

Katrina and I stand there stunned at his admission. I think to myself, why would he be crying for his mom getting pregnant. She is an adult woman. But who am I to judge there must be something more to the story. I look at Katrin to figure out what to do next, and she goes and hugs him again.

"Chucky, how do you know your mom is pregnant?" Katina asks.

"You know how my mom doesn't let me have a TV in my room because of my ADHD." He says, and she nods. "Well, your skanky sister and Pimple Pete where macking down on the couch, and I wasn't gonna sit there watching them."

"Wait, your mom just let them make out like that? Katrina asks, and Chucky rolls his eyes. They both laugh, making me laugh. "It's an honest question, Chucky."

"Bitch. Let me finish, and you will find out."

"Asshole, continue."

"My mom went to a school-sponsored convention. I think in San Francisco, she is supposed to be back Tuesday night. Anyway, I called her and asked if I could watch TV in her room because Karo was bugging the fuck out of me. She told me where she hid her key to her room. I went into her room, and I know she keeps her remote in her dresser. I open the dresser and found this." He says and hands Katrina a square paper.

"Wow, an ultrasound."

"No, shit Sherlock."

"Hey, stop man. She is trying to help you, buddy." I say, looking at the ultrasound myself. "The date on this is this past Friday. What does 28 wks mean?"

"That means she is twenty-eight weeks pregnant," Katrina says. Chucky throws up his arms in frustration. "Chucky, is this why your mad?"

"No! I am mad that she lied to me about dating and how serious she was getting with her mystery man. I asked her to please let me know when she is getting serious about someone. I want her to be happy, but she lied. It's as if she is embarrassed about having me as a son. I know I'm a little extra, but never did I think she wouldn't introduce me to someone important to her. My heart is broken, Katrina. I have nowhere to go if she wants me out.

"What do you mean? She is not going to put you out, Chucky."

"She is starting a new family with a new guy. My dad did it. Why wouldn't she?"

"She is not your fucking dad Chucky."

"Chucky, trust me, your mom would never do that to you. Mamas are different. Maybe she had a reason not to tell you. I'm sure she would have told you soon."

"Chucky, think of the positive, a new baby is exciting. You love Joey so much, and I know you'll love this baby just as much or even more."

"True, but it still hurts."

"How old is your mom if you don't mind me asking?" I ask because when I think of moms, I think of my mom how was in her 40's when she passed. She would be 46 today.

"She is 32. She had me when she was fifteen years old. We grew up together, and she is all I got, bro."

"You still have her bro. I promise."

Damn, I ruined your night. I bet y'all were about to get nasty and shit." He laughs though we can still feel his sadness through his laugh.

"Chucky shut the fuck up." Katrina buries her face into my chest, and I laugh hysterically. His phone chimes the facetime ringtone.

"Oh shit, it's mom." He says and answers. We can see her appear on the screen, but she can't see us. He holds up the ultrasound to the screen. All the color in her face drains, and her smile vanishes. "What the fuck is this, mom."