Chapter Eight

—First Person POV.—

Trust.

"Hey, don't pick at it." The human commands and I jolt, accidentally flapping my wings outwards and nearly hitting him.

Except, he was already far out of reach and stepped back a little more with his hands up in surrender "You're still here?" I question with a huff and he sweat drops.

I don't bother taking my eyes off of him as I push myself fully to my feet and a thought finally comes to mind "Wait,"

He pauses too, watching me in confusion as I glance at my bandaged arm "Did you do this?"

With the slight nod of his head, he stands there— Fiddling with the hem of his cloak as if he had done something wrong "Yes, I.." His voice trails off.

And his eyes avert to the floor "I'm sorry." He states finally and my glare softens a bit.

A silence passes through us and I nod lightly, clearing my throat "I'm.. Just going to step over here.." I say loud enough for him to hear and he nods, watching me walk off towards one of the rocks to nap.

A light continuously flickers over my closed eyelids, causing me to grumble and blink, eyes flickering around to see that the sun has started to set— Painting the sky in a hue of pink and orange while aiming the sun right into my gaze.

I huff, moving so I'm out of the way and as the leaves rustle and fall under my weight— My eyes idly glance to the side for a moment.

I have to look twice, unsure if I had actually seen him but the white cloak far off near the water definitely belonged to the human.

'He's still here?' I internally question, rubbing at the bandage on my wing before curiously climbing down and approaching his back that had been turned to me.

With a raised eyebrow, my shadow casts over him but I don't bother paying attention to that— Instead watching as he drags a stick through the dirt, boredly making some kind of..

Well I don't really know what it is— But it looks interesting and he either doesn't notice I'm here, or just ignored me as he continues on.

And from the angle we stood, I could see a face forming "What's that?" I finally choose to speak up after a while and he glances to me, pausing in his stick activity.

"A drawing..?" He answers questioningly and with the slight tilt of my head, he turns and forms another eye on the other side of the face "See? It's you." He explains.

My brows furrow as I stare, my expression quickly brightening before I wordlessly turn and run off.

My throat lights up as I come across the tree, jumping and yanking one of the large branches downwards and when it didn't break under my weight— I opened my mouth, blowing up the wood near the beginning of it.

With the thrust of my wings, the tree branch finally falls and towers over me when I flip it so one end would drag along the dirt.

A smile falls onto my lips as I pull it throughout the dirt, picking up roots and running over rocks when I make a loop around the human and turn.

"Ow—" He mutters quickly when the back of my stick hits something— I then look back to see leaves falling from the top of his hair.

He doesn't seem actually hurt so I continue on with a small chuckle, dragging the large branch behind me and creating the image a few feet away from me.

He watches as I drop the branch with a loud thud "Look, it's you!" I beam and he stands up from the rock he had been sitting on to look over my work.

With a sweat drop, he slowly nods towards my 'drawing' surrounding him, a sheepish smile tilting the corners of his lips upwards while I stand there proudly.

My happiness is immediately wiped away when he steps on part of the drawing "Hey!" I scold and he jumps, looking to me for a second before looking down.

He lifts his boot from the dirt, moving over it to take another step, followed by another and another.

The corners of his mouth tilt upwards into a smile as he walks, avoiding all of the lines I had created before coming to a stop right in front of me.

His eyes widen slightly— This is probably the closest he's ever gotten to stand next to me and unlike the other times, I don't try to scare him off.

And with the sun behind him, he casts a shadow over me, dark eyes staring into mine "(Y/n)." I blink, glancing away.

He pauses, brows furrowing slightly "What?" I sigh, still tense in his presence "My name is (Y/n)." I repeat, louder this time for him and he nods slowly.

"I'm Amajiki Tamaki." He introduces, hesitantly reaching a hand out for me and I take a step back— Uncertain and cautious now.

Seeing my expression, he quickly shakes his head "It's a handshake— People do it to say 'hello'" He explains quietly and I blink, confusion flickering through my face.

After a moment of staring at his outstretched hand, my brows furrow "Nothings happening." And he nods, agreeing with me for a second.

"Here, I need your hand." He awkwardly continues and with another cautious glance his way, I hesitantly reach out with my own hand— And grab his, moving up and down slowly.

When it comes to a stop and I slowly let go, I look up to him for a second before stepping back and retreating into my shelter.

—Third Person POV.—

Amajiki watches the direction she had ran off in, eyes in a daze before stepping back himself to head home.

As he walks to the entrance, his eyes can't help but glance over the mess of scribbles she had created— Staring silently before quickly leaving.

As he's passing through the forest, an idea flickers through his mind and he pushes the door to his temporary house open— Earning the attention of the two inside.

"Hey Amajiki!" Nejire calls from the dining table and he looks up from the ground to her "Hey Nejire." He replies, obviously distracted.

"I'll be right back, I need to show him what one of the first years gave me!" She beams before jumping up from her seat and running upstairs.

"So," Mirio starts as Amajiki sits down beside him "We didn't see you at training today." The blonde finally brings up, tilting his head to look at his friend.

"Sorry, I had to do something." Amajiki sweat drops, guilty eyes turning away before a thought comes to mind— The sound of crashing from upstairs filling in the silence a bit.

"Hey, Mirio?" "Yeah?" He raises an eyebrow in questioning, watching Amajiki curiously "Do you know where I can get some paper and charcoal?"

This caused the blondes face to erupt into more confusion "There's a shop near the dining hall— Why?" He asks and doesn't get an answer because Nejire comes back down with a few tracker-class dragon spikes in her hands.

Happily showing off the spikes and their pretty colors to the two.
——————————————————————————