Chapter Nine

—First Person POV.—

"Oh, Amajiki." I speak up, pausing my drawing to look towards the crack he had entered through.

He turns to me, blinking in confusion— And I drop the large branch I had been holding, the leaves crashing to the grass with a loud thud and causing dirt to fly up.

I can see Amajiki's shadow through the cloud and he waves his hand to rid the dust from his vision— Not moving from his spot and as I step closer I notice he was holding objects underneath his cloak.

"Hey." He greets with a slight cough and I stop a few feet in front of him, tilting my head at his hidden hand.

"What do you have?" I question, still slightly cautious and he blinks "Oh, it's for—" "Wait, wait, wait!" I cut in and he jumps in surprise.

"Sorry! But look, look!" My voice repeats in excitement and I turn to show him the drawing I had been working on.

I guess I had turned a little too quickly because next thing I know, my tail and wing hit something and a grunt escapes Amajiki's lips— Followed by a thud.

My head snaps back to the noise, wide eyes catching onto Amajiki's fallen figure— He was on his back in the dirt and I rush over, quickly scooping him back up to his feet with my tail.

And I guess I used a little too much force because he nearly went flying forward but gladly just stumbles before regaining his footing.

"I'm sorry!" I exclaim, swiping at the dirt on the back of his usually white cloak and he looks back to me with wide eyes, bringing his hands up awkwardly "It's okay.."

My gaze is yanked away from him when I step forward and nearly trip over something hard on the floor.

I glance down, expecting it to be a rock of some sort but see a weird square thing— Actually a couple of square things laying on the floor.

"Did you bring this?" I asked and he looks down as well, moving to pick up the objects while I step out of the way.

And that's when I also saw the pointy black stick.

"Is that a weapon?" I question, staring cautiously at all of the things in his hands and he shoots me a confused stare "This is just a book—" "So it is dangerous." I cut off with a glare.

My throat lights up and I'm about ready to shoot the thing out of his hands when he throws his hands up near his chest in surrender.

"Hey, hey, calm down— It's not dangerous." He sputters, eyes wide while watching for me. I don't back down but after a second I slowly relax, the light in my throat dimming slightly.

"What are you going to do with it?" I finally ask and he lets out the breath he had been holding, sitting down slowly for me.

"Here, just stay still for a few seconds." He commands and I want to ask what he is doing until he pulls outs the sharpened black stick and starts scratching at the 'book' with it.

"See? It's you." He explains, holding it out to me and with cautious steps forward— I gently grab it from his hands and look over the drawing.

"Oh." I let out, blinking at the lines across the page "..Can you do it again?" I finally question, trying my head down at him.

"Sure." He nods slightly and I hand him the book, moving to look over his shoulder as he flips to a new page and starts scratching away with his stick thing.

It takes a moment but a face starts to form through the blankness and I watch with wide eyes when he lifts it for me to see more clearly.

"How do you do that??" I ask, leaning over his shoulder to poke at the page and he pulls it down slightly "..Like this?" Amajiki awkwardly suggests, glancing up to me.