Chapter Ten

Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment on my feed CloudyUnicorn206

—First Person POV.—

My head snaps up as a wail flies through the air and I realize just how far away it had sounded.

Immediately I'm scrambling to my feet— bursting past the roots of the shelter and stopping to look around for the source of the noise.

Not too far away, I see Amajiki trying to shush the lamb as it stands— Blocking him from entering further.

His arms come up to try and calm the crying creature but it just makes him wail louder and I rush forward.

Hearing me— Amajiki's head looks up in a panic and he starts yelling for me to stop.

He moves to stand between me and the lamb as I skid to a stop in front of him and blink in confusion "What?" I question and the lamb wails behind him.

"You can't eat the lamb." His voice stutters in a hurry and I pause "...You though I was going to eat.. The lamb..?" I slowly question, looking along his tense figure.

He gulps, nodding slightly in confirmation "Look, I brought something other than fish today, you might like it if—" Another wail passes through the tension and I look around him to the animal.

Seeing me, the little creature lets out another 'bah' before ramming into the back of Amajiki's leg and causing him to fall.

"Ouch.." I mutter, using my tail to lift the lamb into my arms while helping Amajiki back to his feet with my uninjured wing.

"Yeah, sorry about that— I wasn't able to get any food for him because of..." My voice trails off as I turn to my injured wing— And the lamb silences, turning to stare between us.

Amajiki pushes himself up with one hand, glancing at the animal in my arms in confusion "Wait, you.."He pauses, obviously trying to process the entire situation and I sweat drop.

—Third Person POV.—

"Something's seriously up with him." A hushed voice comments as the two look over Amajiki's vacant room.

"Look," She says as they step out, giving him his privacy "I found hay stashed behind the house and when Amajiki disappeared— It went missing too!"

"Maybe he got a job at the stables?" Mirio tries to reason but as the weeks go by and they see less and less of their friend— His excuses had started to go out the window as well.

"But we pass by the stables when we go to train, we should've seen him at some point if he did." Nejire shoots down.

"If he's not using it for the stables— What's he using the hay for then?"

—First Person POV.—

I lay idly against the tree, back pressed up against the bark as I stare boredly at my arm.

And when another itch racks through my limb, I grunt— Running my nails along the cloths before pulling at it.

It had been at least two weeks and a half— As Amajiki explains it, and I was getting fed up with the wraps.

"I told you not to pick at it." A voice calls from a few feet behind me and I lazily glance over my shoulder at him before turning back and leaving the stupid 'gauze' alone.

"Can I just take it off now?? It's been on for very long like you said." I complain and he shakes his head "It almost got infected last time." He explains and I huff, turning away slightly.

A silence passes through us and after a moment, I hear a sigh escape his lips "Here, let me check it and if it's healed enough— You can take it—" I don't give him enough time to even finish his sentence because I'm up.

My feet plant on the grass and I stumble, hurrying in his direction— He steps back as I near, hands coming up as if when I slid to an energetic stop right in front of him.

I'm holding my arm out and with a glance my way— Almost as if asking for permission to touch me.— He moves forward and starts undoing the wraps.

With a quick tug, it comes off and he starts unwrapping it without an issue and once he sees my skin— He glances at me again before running a finger over where my injury has been.

"Does it hurt?" He questions and when I shake my head, he nods and moves on to my tail— Peeling away and checking.

Finally he comes to my wings and awkwardly leans over my back, moving his hands back and forth indecisively before ducking under and starting to remove them in my line of sight.

I watch, letting him pull at the wraps before they finally come off and he runs a hand along my scales— Checking for any pain from me.

I let him know nothing hurts and he steps back a bit "Since you've had it folded this whole time, try stretching a little."

My wings flare upwards, stretching to their full length behind and out behind me— Easily casting a shadow over the both of us as I stretch.

It felt amazing to actually let my wing extend fully again and a refreshing grumble passes through my lips before I flap both wings down slightly and kick up dust from the ground.

I'm smiling the entire time, turning to Amajiki excitedly to see he's already staring at me, dark eyes mesmerized.

When he locks eyes with me for a moment— He clears his throat and awkwardly averts his gaze to the floor.

"..It looks good, but don't try doing anything too—" His voice is cut off abruptly as I thrust my wings down, shooting myself into the air.

The wind bats against my face and my hair flies back as I zoom upwards, flapping my wings over and over again to boost myself higher.

Water flicks against my skin as I fly through a cloud and when I pop out through the top— I take in a deep breath, sighing in content as my wings go limp and I fall backwards.

The fall is short and when I pass back through the cloud, the water flicks from my damp scales as I extend one of my wings outwards— Flipping myself over.

My other wing opens— Flapping during my descent and angling so I'm able to glide a few feet above the ground.

Amajiki comes into view and I fly above him— Leaves shoot up through the air as I pass and the fins on the ends of my tails flicker outwards, letting me take a sharp turn.

I cut through the air, looping around the large ravine-like area before flapping my wings and coming to a hard stop a few feet in front of and above Amajiki.

He tilts his head to look up at me, dark eyes and hair coated with a little dirt from the flying dust of each flap from my wings keeping me upwards.

With each gust of wind, his hair flies back from his wide-eyed expression and I smile down at him— Closing my wings and diving down, in his direction this time.

Seeing me growing closer, he takes a step back— And ducks when I fly overhead, quickly skidding to a stop on the soft grass.

My bare feet run along the grass and due to this being the first time I've flown in a while— I must've lost my touch a bit because I trip over my own legs and stumble to the ground.

My wings flop back onto the dirt as I land on my back, eyes looking up at the sky as a breathless laugh escapes my lips.

And a few seconds later, I hear footsteps approach before Amajiki is looking down over my head, I guess he couldn't come from the sides because my wings are splayed out under me.

I'm still smiling like an idiot "Thank you, Amajiki." I exhale happily and see the corners of his mouth shakily tilt upwards.

"No problem." His voice stutters as he stares down at me, blocking the sun from my vision while I also look up at him.

Then I push myself up, getting back to my feet and glancing to the sky once more.

——————————————————————————