Chapter 6

Katherina POV

A sound startles me, I immediately sat back on the bed and look around at the source of the sound. My eyes widen when I recognize the sound.

It's a ringtone. There's a cell phone in my room.

I get up and checked under the sheets, pillow, and mattress but I couldn't find the device. The ringing stops for a moment before it rang again, I open the drawers of the side table and finally saw the phone. I picked the iPhone and receive the call.

"Buongiorno, mia cara" (Good morning my dear).

"Nathan" a whisper left my mouth when I recognize the voice on the other side.

I hear him releasing a long breath like he is holding it for a long time.

"My name sounds beautiful from your mouth" Nathan whisper in low voice and for some weird reason I can feel that his eyes are close as he speaks, "How are you, tesoro?" (Sweetheart).

"Umm... Good" I reply not believing that he called me to ask about my well-being.

"I hope you're enjoying Rebecca's company," he said.

"Yes, she is amazing" I reply.

"I will be back tomorrow. I can't wait to see you, amore" (Love).

What? Can't wait to see me? What do I say to that?

"Okay" I whisper and the line got dead.

I put the cell phone down and process everything. It's hard to cope up with a totally different life, every night I sleep thinking that when I open my eyes I'll be at my home but with every passing day it's fading away too. I sat on the edge of the bed and look down at the phone in my hands.

I can make calls with this device, I can hear mom's voice. I slide the screen and open the keypad to dial the number when I realize that's impossible since she doesn't have a cell phone.

I try remembering Seth's number but I couldn't, I try to recall anything but my mind stopped working. I don't remember anyone's phone number, I never had a chance to learn those.

I felt helpless, one thing he left that can actually get me out of here is not useful for me. A tear fell from my eye remembering mom, my friends, my life, my dreams.

I didn't realize how long it has been since I'm sitting on the sofa chair looking outside at the movement on the street from the balcony. People are continuously moving and living their life while my life is still, motionless.

"Why you refused to have breakfast?"

I turn around and saw Rebecca standing with her arms folded in front of her chest. I was very disturbed and didn't want to talk to anyone especially her right now because she reminds me of people back in my town, she reminds me of my friend Alessia.

"Katherina, I am talking to you!" she raised her voice scolding me and I turn around looking away from her as my eyes well up, "What's wrong with you girl?".

Soon her words started bothering me, she starts telling me about how Nathan ordered that I should have all the meals of the day on time, how he wants me to enjoy my day, how he wants me to breathe!

I turn around, "Becca... please can you stop this?" I said to her in a not so soft tone which made her get quiet immediately.

A frown appeared on her face and she steps closer to me. I instantly regret talking to her like that, it's not her fault that I'm in this situation today.

"Listen, Becca, I'm so sorry-

"Were you crying?" she cut me off and raised her hand to wipe the tear from my cheek, "What's wrong?" she asked with concern.

"N-nothing, I'm fine," I said to her, "I'm really sorry for talking to you like that" I apologize to her.