Chapter eight - sorrow

Warning this is a sad chapter :(
_________________________

A generic iPhone alarm rang throughout the stagnant room. Jacob opened his dry eyes, he picked up his phone and the bright light burned his eyes. The time read ten-thirty. Jacob knew why he had to get up, he knew he had to go. He didn't want to remember anything, he just wanted to lay in bed and pretend that this is all a dream. He got up out of the soft, warm bed and headed to shower. Once done, he remembered the white box Mr. Porter gave him. He opened it up to reveal shiny black shoes and a traditional tux.

Jacob tried on the blazer to make sure it fit, weirdly it did, though the arms fit a bit tight, as he is muscular. He wasn't sure if it was a coincidence or not, because he has never met Mr. Porter before. He didn't want to think about it. He felt bad because this seemed like an expensive suit, and he is pretty sure it's not a rental.

He put everything on with a knot in his throat and tears starting to form. The shoes fit a little bit, but that wasn't a big deal. He brushed his hair back and tucked the shorter ends behind his ear. With his face still bruised, he lightly brushed over the discoloration hoping it would go away. Once again, a knock was heard. He quickly dried her eyes and walked over to the door and turned the knob.

 "Ah, I see you're already ready. Why don't you join us for breakfast?" An already dressed Porter asked. Jacob nodded and followed him out the door, before grabbing his small phone. Once again the whole family sat there in their usual spots. And of course, Jacob set between Louis and Mr. Porter. Everyone at the table looked at Jacob, specifically Luis and Rebecca. They both thought he looked handsome. Luis tried to not stair, but that wasn't the case for Rebecca. She kept her eyes on him the whole time.

"Where are you going?" Rebecca asked.
"Um uh, you see…" Mr. Porter tried to explain without offending Jacob.
Jacob placed his hand on Mr. Porter's shoulder as to say 'it's okay' 

"My mother's funeral"

The table fell silent. Luis hesitantly places his hand on Jacob's arm, with furrowed brows. Jacob gave him a sad, but reassuring look.

"I-I'm sorry, for your loss" Rebecca felt a bit guilty because she was trying to hit on him in a time like this. They quickly finished eating, and the pair headed off.

They sat in the car, that Jacob was not used too. They pulled off and drove to the funeral home. "Katies going to be there, right?" 

"She should be, I'm sure they'll let her."
They parked in the parking lot, there were only three cars, including Mr.porter's. Mr. Porter looked a bit confused, but Jacob just sighed. He opened the door and fixed his suit, with Porter following him. He opened the doors. Straight ahead was his mother's body that laid in a casket he slowly walked up to her. Immediately upon seeing her, tears rolled down his cheeks. His face began to turn warm as his cheeks flustered red. His heartbeat sped up as he cried silently.

Jacob felt a tug on his arm he looked it's, Katie he felt so relieved that she was there he bent down over to give her a hug his tears rolled onto her shoulder. Upon the hug Jacob gave her, she began to sob. Jacob saw that her eyes are puffy, she had been crying for a while. He rubbed circles into her back to try and calm her down to no use. 

The Social worker that drove Katie there started to cry. Mr. Porter walked near her to ask her something.

"Excuse me, where is everyone else?"

She dried her eyes. "They have no other family, it's just the two of them. We've tried contacting relatives, but they don't seem to care, plus they are out of state… Jacob, will be eight-teen soon, he can sign to be Katie's legal guardian, but until then she will be staying with us"