Chapter 6

(A picture of Idris Nemain, The Justicar, enjoy chapter 6!)

Blake stretched as he waited for Coney to finish his preparation. To Blake, it looked like he was just resting underneath the dead World Tree but he had assured Blake he was working. Ahriman looked at the rabbit with boredom and Blake had to stop him from harassing the rabbit several times.

"Isra ocenave," Blake focused on the flame in front of him. It flamed up to almost burn off his brows. "Why is it getting bigger?! This is the spell to extinguish fire."

Ahriman who had laughed until tears fell, brushed off the tears and walked over. "It's the rhythm. You need to speak the words in a certain rhythm or the spell only recognizes the first word. Which is-"

"The fire-starting spell," Blake groaned and rubbed his temples. He might be able to learn all the elements, according to Leon and Ciaran Macgreine last semester, but it was really hard to learn. Leon who had been his teacher in fire elementalism had not shown his face so Blake could only practice by himself.

"Why is this so hard to do?"

"There is a multitude of answers to that, little one. One is that magic isn't supposed to be easy to learn," Ahriman said and sat across from Blake on the ground watching the lit candle.

"I understand that but I assumed since I can learn all the elements, I should have an affinity for it but I just don't seem to be able to handle fire. Maybe I should try another element?"

"That won't help," Ahriman mused.

"Why not?"

"Because your problem doesn't lie with your affinity. It lies with your magic."

Blake frowned at him, "should that make sense to me?"

"The more magic you have. The greater spells you can cast but what many don't know is that it's harder to cast spells as it is harder to control your magic. The lesser magic you have the easier it is to cast magic but you cannot cast as mighty spells or as many."

Blake glared at him," so I will have trouble mastering all magic?"

"Yes, too bad you are not a genius," Ahriman said amusingly.

"Wonderful, that will surely earn me some respect with-" Blake went quiet. "Wait, why is it so easy then to summon spirits?"

"It's because of your innate ability to create a portal to other worlds. You simply have a natural talent for summoning," Ahriman shrugged.

"Then maybe I should focus on summoning."

"Perhaps, you should talk to your fae professor, MacGreine, for that. Summoning is used in Sacrificial magic when you want to make a deal with a spirit but it has its own subjects in Arcane Arts."

"I thought natural magic and Arcane arts don't mix. How can they use summoning then?"

"It is a grey area. The simplest form of summoning is not Arcane magic but Natural magic. It is often compared to calling someone with your voice. While summoning in the Arcane Arts is like calling someone with a phone. There are no limits to it in the same way as in Natural magic."

Blake pondered over what he said and decided to talk to McGreine. He wanted to learn magic he can get a handle on fast. The harder ones can be learned later.

"I'm ready!" shouted Coney from behind him. Blake blew out the candle and walked over.

"Sorry, did you wait for long."

"For an eternity," Ahriman complained dramatically.

"I wasn't talking to you, foul being."

"I don't mind the wait," Blake said with a bit of a white lie to please Coney who huffed happily. "Now what does this entail?"