Chapter 16

Elliott sighed as he threw himself at the creaky sofa that has become his bed. Joanne rubbed his back with a chuckle. Joshua entered the room with a smile but the smile faded as he looked at the scene. Elliott watched him with a frown before ignoring Joshua's strange mood. He was far too tired to deal with it.

"How did it go?" Elliott asked.

"We caught most of the stragglers. Ronan's pack is pretty much dissolved. Most have returned to our side. Only a few are missing," Joshua replied and did not let Joanne go with his eyes. Joanne hurriedly removed her hands and curled up on the sofa to make herself look smaller. Elliott growled warningly at Joshua who merely gave him a smirk.

"Who is missing?"

"Some of the pack members Ronan brought with him. Most likely ran back to the Walsh family. Oh, and Mark Rowe along with some of his goons," Joshua shrugged.

Elliott grumbled. Mark again. What's up with that lad?

"This was a fucking mess," Elliott repeated for the hundredth time.

"Oh, I don't know, mon cheri. I think it worked out perfectly. Ronan is out of the picture and Dale is safe," Joshua sat down on a chair across from Elliott who sat himself into a more dignified position.

"Blake was tricked into using some strange form of magic by a spy of the coven and we have no idea why. Ronan escaped. He is not out of the picture. And we still haven't averted the crisis of the incoming war with the witches," Elliott muttered.

"One crisis at the time. Focus on your achievements rather than your current problems, cheri. That will lighten your heart," Joshua chuckled. He was right, Elliott could not only focus on what he hadn't done without remembering what he had achieved.

"When did you become so wise?"

"I was always wise. I just hid it well," Joshua leaned back in the chair making sure that Elliott got a nice view of his muscles under the tight t-shirt. Damn, it was hard to focus. Well, focus on the right thing.

Joanne, on the other hand, was not shy about looking at the scenery. She cocked an eyebrow at Elliott and he could hear her unspoken question clearly. Why haven't you hit that?

Because he wanted a stable relationship, not a quick shag. Elliott sighed and thought that Idris Nemain seemed more open about a relationship. Then it suddenly hit him.

"The Justicar might be able to find out what Frank Lloyd is up to."

Joshua grimaced at the mention of Idris Nemain and refused to look at Elliott.

"Would the Justicar speak to you?" Joanne asked. Elliott's eyes still followed Joshua. Should he? No, it's immature... Silvergale huffed from his mind edging him on.

"He might, if I put on a fancy suit."

"Oh, he likes you," Joanne said with a grin before it faded after hearing Joshua's low growl. Mission accomplished.

"I don't know but he is certainly flirting. Either way, he seemed to care for Blake so I think he might be willing to give us some information," Elliott said with a shrug. He peered at Joshua who was back to his neutral expression. Though he did seem to give him a smirk when he noticed Elliott peeking at him.

"I'm not so sure that we should trust a Justicar," Joshua said casually.

"Though I suspect that it's for a different reason than mine, I still agree with your friend here. A witch's loyalty will always be to their coven. Just as a wolf's always will be to their pack. We should not put our faith too much on the Justicar," said Joanne. Elliott sighed and leaned his head against the wall. They are correct of course. Idris seems fiercely loyal to the coven even if he did not agree with them at all costs. Still, it could not hurt to ask. Could it?