Chapter 12

Elliott groaned as he entered his, or to be exact, the guest room. Joanne followed him with a smile. "Your family is a riot as always."

"They are a bloody menace," Elliott replied and threw himself at the armchair while Joanne laid down on the couch. "Sorry, I know you didn't want to come back here."

Joanne sighed as she stroked her stomach. Elliott could see that she wondered if she had started to show. "It's not your fault. At least not if you haven't planned on burning down your home."

"I might, considering that my family is driving me mad," Elliott muttered.

"Is this... conflict going to get worse?" Joanne asked carefully. Elliott watched his childhood friend knowing that she feared all kinds of conflict.

"Most likely," he answered honestly. "Why?"

"I got fired a few days ago."

"What? Why?"

"The headmistress said something about me being pregnant but I know that she wants to cut the shifter staff like they were old milk."

"Even Freya?"

Joanne chuckled," no one can cut Freya. She pretty much runs the place. I doubt she would even leave even if they asked her."

"True, well. We need a nurse at Vale Academy so..."

"Well, I will take the chance to take care of myself. I have a lot of savings after all."

Elliott shrugged," I will support you no matter what you want to do. Just ask if you need something and I will get it."

"Why can't you be straight," Joanne muttered for the thousand times they have known each other and Elliott chuckled.

"Life isn't fair."

"True."

"Well, I wanted to ask you if you wanted a house close to our mansion or if you wanted to live in the mansion but I guess the latter isn't really an option at the moment."

"Use the money you saved for building me a house to rebuilding the mansion," Joanne said while not leaving any room for argument.

"I was saving that for our child, you know."

"Then put it in a fond or something. For when our child going to university."

"Considering my relatives are, it's fairly certain that he might not go to the university," Elliott chuckled.

"Then save it for all the hospital visits our little rugrat is going to have."

Elliott could feel the heavy atmosphere and sighed. "What is it you aren't telling me?"
"I think you already know."

"Tell me anyway."

"You will need to handle this before our child is born. I won't let our child grow up in a warzone. Neither should you."

"I won't."

Joanne looked over at him. "You can't promise that."

Elliot straightens his back and looked her straight in the eyes.

"I promise you. Our child won't grow up in a warzone."

*****

Blake sighed as the signal cut off. That damn Cainen Harwen won't answer. Pyramus wasn't kidding when he said that he was elusive. He can at least answer his damn phone. Alex walked into the diner at the Art Guild with a plate of food. Blake raised a brow at him.

"I thought you weren't allowed to eat here."

Alex winked before waving to the lunch lady who waved back with a gleaming smile. "I have my connections."