Chapter 23

Jaxon walked over to Elliott who stood at the front with his father and brother. The whole pack had been summoned to reel in the last of Ronan's pack. There weren't many, only a few loyal wolves from the Walsh pack and Mark standing with a pale face and dark eyes. He looked like he hadn't slept for days and Jaxon could not feel sorry for him after what he had done.

The full moon lit up the forest but the glade was silence except from the rowdy crowd growling at each other like mad dogs. None wanted to do the first move as they all recognized each other. Maybe even once saw each other as friends.

"Where is Ronan?" Elliott shouted but the wolves only replied by growling. Theirs glowed fiercely as they protected their Alpha.

"There sure had some nerve hiding out here," Kai growled. Jaxon looked over the ruin that once was his home. Construction had begun for a new house but was abandoned when things went south. Elliott did not want to risk it being damaged again which he feared would happen if the Coven's attention was drawn to it.

"I should have guessed it. It is rather clever. It so deep into our territory that we did not bother to look here. Not to mention that it was protected. Ronan did not even have to risk his own pack being hurt," said Owen with an expression that was both grim and impressed.

Jaxon was far from impressed and was merely insulted by Ronan being in the home his pack had set fire to. Not to mention, Mark who had been one of the people who had started the fire.

"Why haven't we attacked yet?" asked Jaxon angrily and let out a deep growl at the nearest enemy who winced and backed away from the four Alphas at the front.

"I had hoped to solve this without a slaughter. Ronan is hurt and Mark is guilty of murder. I assumed that they would throw Mark at us in order to save their Alpha," Elliott replied stiffly.

"But they haven't?"

"I smell their confusion. Ronan must be badly hurt because they have no idea what to do. He hasn't given them any orders," said Owen and nodded to the agitated wolves. Freya and Alex came over along with some other shifters. Alex's eyes narrowed when he saw Mark who didn't even seem to register him.

"Why haven't you taken him yet? Are you waiting for this to escalate? The Coven is not far off, we will need to handle this fast."

"What do we do with Mark?" Jaxon suddenly asked and all looked conflicted as they watched Mark.

"We need to find out what happened," said Elliott.

"He murdered a child," Freya huffed but Elliott shook his head.

"Yes, but why? He wanted to convince the Head Druid to heal Ronan not kill a boy. Wouldn't it be better to take the boy hostage? Why did he attack him? and so furiously..." Elliott sighed. "It makes no sense."

"He isn't smartest tool in the shed," Kai said with a shrug.

"But not that dumb," Elliott ruffled his hair. "I don't know. I want to interrogate him before we judge him."

"Well, whatever we should be doing. We will need to do it fast," muttered Jaxon and nodded towards lights moving among the dark trees. light from flashlights moved across the forest trying to find them.

Two dark silhouettes rushed towards them. Jaxon prepared himself as one of them seem to come straight for him. Then Nightmane let out a ridiculously happy yelp and so did Jaxon as the familiar scent hit his nose. Blake threw himself into Jaxon's awaiting embrace.

"It's the coven! We had to sneak past them," Blake panted and looked up at Jaxon who was mesmerized by his emerald eyes. Leon arrived soon after.

"I have thrown an Illusion spell to hide us, it should give us a few minutes but whatever you are going to do, do it fast!" Leon said grimly and kept a close eye on the lights moving across the forest. Shouts could be heard from a distance as they tried to find them.