Chapter 11

Blake took a deep breath and knocked on the door. Alex cocked an eyebrow at him.

"You knocked?"

"It seemed more polite," Blake muttered.

The door swung open and Leon stared at the two of them like he had seen ghosts.

"Blake! What are you doing here? You can't be here? How-"

"Keep the questions to a minimum. We don't have much time here," Alex replied and looked around.

"We came to break you out," Blake said and pulled on Leon's arm. Leon watched Blake with a confused look before he shook his head.

"Come in, it's less likely you will be discovered if you get inside," Leon muttered and pulled them in. He closed the door after him while Blake stared at the so-called bedroom. It was huge, with its own bathroom and queen-sized bed and sofa. All in an old-style, fit for royalty.

"You should not be here."

"You already said that," Blake muttered. "And neither should you."

"This is my home."

"Your family is trying to free Fingal Keir. A man you helped stop."

Leon groaned and rubbed his temples like he had a headache. "I don't agree with them."

"Then say so. Why are you-"

"It's complicated."

"Why?"

"Because my mother wants to replace me as her heir."

Blake frowned at him. "What?"

"You know how traditions favor a woman as the leader in covens. Men weren't allowed in any leadership positions until around 50 years ago. My mom still wants to uphold the old tradition but she only had me. A son. She wants her niece to become her heir instead but she has encountered resistance among the other witches. If I go against her, she intends to use that as an excuse to take away my birthright to become the next leader of the Graycrests," Leon explained.

"Not to sound cynical but if that is your mother's intent then she will find an excuse to do so whether you like it or not," said Alex.

"I fear you might be right, but I can still try to gain some support. Maybe even convince the others that letting Fingal Keir go is a lousy decision. But I can only do so from here," Leon replied with a tired expression. Blake perused him with doubt.

"Is being heir so important to you?"

"My family is old and powerful. I am proud of it and want to lead it. I always wanted that."

"Even if it means sacrificing your beliefs?"

The room fell into silence and Leon's face turned from determined to doubtful revealing his wavering feelings. He did not seem to be able to answer Blake's question and this conversation wasn't going anywhere. Leon had obviously no intention of leaving and every minute they are here the bigger the chance of them being discovered.

"One last question. Do you know that your mother plans to pin all of this on me? Blame me for everything that happened last year," Blake asked. Leon did not reply but didn't seem surprised. Blake had his answer.

"Alex, let's go. There is nothing for us here and Leon... If they don't want you, why are you fighting so hard to gain a trust that never will come when you already have friends that miss you?"

With those last words, Blake and Alex snuck out again. Fortunately, they did not encounter anyone on the way out and the yard was quiet. Hadrien waited for them and they left the same way as they came. All under the cover of the dark.