Chapter 13

Blake watched the candle with a frown while Ahriman looked at him with boredom.

"Are you going to do it?"

"Don't stress me!"

"This is not rocket science. Just do it."

"Silence, evil being!" Coney shouted and bit Ahriman who did not even grimace. He just sighed and pulled on the rabbit's ears.

"Fine," Blake muttered and focused on the candle.

"Isra, Isra Surar, Isra Oc-" the flame lit only to erupted. Blake threw himself back before he burned off his eyebrows.

"Damnit! Why isn't it working?" Blake exclaimed frustrated while he extinguished the fire with a pillow. That was his twelfth fail. "It should lit, become smaller to finally go out. Why am I burning down the Conservatory?"

"It's the rhythm," Ahriman said.

"The vile creature is right, you said Isra and Isra surar like it was one sentence. Which only put the two Isra together," Coney tried to explain.

"A fire starter on a fire starter."

"Exactly, there should be a pause between the spells," Coney huffed as he released himself from Ahriman. "Don't be hasty. Just do it slower."

"Maybe it would be better if you just start a fire and then try out Isra Surar," said Ahriman.

"Isra," Blake said and the candle was lit. "Isra Surar." The flame became smaller just barely surviving.

"Well, that works. You just have a hard time doing spells after each other," Ahriman said clearly pleased with the result.

"What is the point of the diminishing fire spell?" Blake sighed. Idris Nemain had suggested these spells. He said it was a good way to practice the rhythm. Lit the candle, make the flame smaller, then extinguish the candle. Each spell cast after each other. Unfortunately, Blake hasn't been able to do it without burning down his surroundings.

"What does it say about me that I can't seem to get this down?"

"That you are a horrible dancer?" Ahriman laughed.

"What?"

"No feeling for rhythm. It is the same base you have when you play music or dance. One, two three, One, two, three."

"Well, you are not wrong. I cannot dance for anything in this world. Mostly, I just flail around hoping that it looks good."

"You do similarly when you cast spells. It looks hilarious."

"Glad that someone is amused by it all," Blake muttered.

Suddenly a tick was heard. Blake turned around to see Franklin holding a metronome. "Try this one."

He put it down on the ground in front of Blake and gave him a smile. But his grey eyes fell upon Ahriman who did not even care to give him a glance. Coney just sniffed the air before starting to play with the metronome.

"How did you find us?" Blake asked suspiciously.

"I asked around. Your training sessions here are far from a secret, mate."

Franklin's eyes fell upon the dead World Tree. "It sure is a sight."

"Hopefully, it will be again after the new tree grows," Blake muttered.

"I heard it gave it's life to you," Franklin continued.

"Yeah."

"How did it feel?"