I'll Pass

I believe the best part of waking up, or returning home, is the smell of the house. This unmistakable mark is usually what the guests pay attention to. Bad house smell? They'd probably invite you over to their house next time. Even worse is a bad person smell. A fresh start to a morning is always completed with a warm, toasty aroma of breakfast, whatever the contents may be.

Though I do remember one time, the contents were preferably disgusting... Oh well. I'm never having that food again.

Note to self; never trust a child's cooking talent. Though I'm pretty sure I can trust Alastor. With cooking, I mean. That's a level I don't have to be concerned with.

I can't trust him with anything else, now that I think of it.

Alastor catches my slight smile as my mind emerges from my ever so distant past. I meet his deep red eyes, my smile becoming fonder. His orbs are tired, like an overworked maiden, but pleased with all she's accomplished. This is exactly so; the spaghetti is almost done, and the pie is cooling off on the stove. Brushing his hands together, the Radio Demon approaches me, smiling his signature closed mouth smile.

"What are you thinking about, my dear?"

A sigh blows through my nose as I absently look over his facial features. "You."

Alastor blinks a few times, apparently surprised by this answer. "I'm... honored?" He chuckles, pulling up a chair on the opposite side of the bar-like counter. The red eyes dart around the kitchen once again, sparkling with pride. I plop my chin on my hand, feeling at ease and slightly humored. I've never seen this side of him. Even if I've only been in Hell a few days. Hell. I hate Hell so much. "Or should I be offended? I have no idea what you're comparing me with, honestly.."

Alastor's curiosity is back. Fingering with the hem of my sleeve, I hum. "Not comparing... just thinking. About you."

"Should I be worried?"

"No, my brain likes thinking about you. Though I must admit", I ad, drawling slightly as I exaggerate. "Sometimes, the way my brain thinks about you can make my skin crawl."

He raises an eyebrow, showing his teeth. "Why?"

"Simple... you terrify me."

Maybe I wouldn't be saying all of this so casually if I'm not so thoroughly pooped. Cooking can really take the energy out of you. Or maybe it's because I'm worried about how the other demons will react to Alastor's and my cooking.

Alastor seems to be thinking along my first train of thought. "My dear, I'm afraid I might have exhausted you to your limit. Are you alright?"

"Just dandy, Al", I grin, tapping a random tune on the counter. Silence encases the two of us. The gentle boiling sounds coming from the spaghetti pot is soothing. A distraction from the dark, slimy cave that resembles my brain. Ok not really slimy. Maybe Alastor's right. I don't even know what time it is. Even he looks tired, and I don't know whether or not he sleeps at night.

Acting on this thought, I check my new, Alastor-bought phone. 5:48. Basically dinnertime.

"Is there any way I could fix this problem we have?" Alastor questions suddenly, eyes narrowing thoughtfully. One of his long, fluffy ears twitch.

"What problem?"

He locks eyes with me, and I feel myself becoming slightly more alert. As if his eyes are my source of energy. "You are terrified of me, and I wouldn't want to lose such a compatible conversationalist. I would stumble back into my cave of boredom!"