11. Drake likes to play around.

Jason got up and cleared the dishes. "What are you going to do today?", he asked over his shoulder.

"Work. My shift doesn't start until 11:00."

Jason looked at his watch. "I'm out with Nick today. He's about to pick me up. I'll probably not be home until dinner time."

There was an awkward silence when Conner stubbornly paused.

"What?", Jason demanded.

"Nothing. Have fun with your work."

The insulting emphasis on the last word didn't go down well. "Just because you seem to hate your work doesn't mean this applies to everyone," he bit to Conner. He grabbed his coat and bag. "I'll wait outside."

Frustrated, he kicked a bush. Duncan, who had just come out of the garage, stopped and lowered the window on the passenger side. "What did that poor bush do?"

"Nothing. Your brother, on the other hand, all the more so."

"What is it now?"

The angry look on Duncan's face made him cool down a little. He didn't have the right to dump his frustrations with Conner on his brother-in-law. "Never mind, Duncan. The two of us will work it out."

"Are you sure? I'd love to put him in his place."

"Thank you, Duncan, but that won't be necessary." To his relief, he saw Nick coming. "There's Nick. Have a good day at work." He quickly ran to the car. "Your timing is perfect," he said stepping inside.

Nick looked next to him. "Did you sleep? You look terrible."

"Good morning to you too," Jason rebounded. "Would you please go?"

"Of course, darling," Nick said loosely. "I've got you for the whole day. As soon as my magic starts working, I'm willing to hear the whole story." With a complacent smile, he drove to the Sorrow house.

Jason looked out his eyes. It was even more beautiful than he had seen in the pictures. Four floors, authentic doors, ceiling and wall frames and a front and rear garden. His goal today was to see how the light moved through the house during the day. He took measurements and argued with Nick about color use and fabrics.

A happy sigh escaped him. This was exactly what he needed right now. Nick's company, along with the lively discussions that were constructive and respectful, revived him. On his iPad he showed a few suggestions of artwork to Nick who responded positive.

"Do you feel like Italian? I know a great family restaurant where they serve a delicious lasagna."

"Is it so late already?", Jason said surprised looking at his watch. Not yet willing to give up Nick's casual company, he nodded in agreement. "I think it's delicious. I'll send home a message."

He sent two.

"Karen. I'm having dinner tonight. Sorry for the inconvenience. Xxx J."

And, "Conner. I'll meet you at the bar. J."

Almost immediately, he got a message back.

"What time?"

"I don't know yet. Depends on Nick."

"I hope you're not going to take Nick."

Jason snorted loudly. Angry he chewed away his exquisite salad. After taking a sip of wine and intensely observing him, Nick asked: "Is something wrong?"

"Same old story," Jason said bitterly. He grabbed his phone.

"If I wanted to take Nick, that's my business. Is that clear?"