31. "Are you ready for the storm?"

"Jason, wake up," he heard whisper in his ear.

"Conner, not again! You've already woken me up twice to make love to me. I'm exhausted," he moaned.

"Karen wants to talk to you."

With a jerk, he sat upright in bed. "What?"

"Everything is fine with your father," Conner reassured him immediately. "I called Karen to inform her about our activities, but she insisted on speaking to you in person."

"Okay," he said rubbing his eyes. "Where did you put the phone?"

"No," Conner shook. "She's coming here." He looked at his watch. "I'm expecting her in ten minutes."

Jason rushed out of bed. "Couldn't you have said that sooner?"

"You were sleeping so soundly. Besides, I knew you were just going to stress." Unabashedly, his steel blue eyes slipped over Jason's naked body. "I'm going to start lunch. Are you coming?"

Frowning, Jason observed him closely. 'Was this a sign that their experiment was over? He had not noticed any revulsion, but even though he had been within reach, Conner hadn't touched him.' After a quick shower, he dressed, took off the bedding and turned on the washing machine.

By the time he walked into the living space, Karen had arrived. Expectantly, she recorded him.

"Why are you here? Wasn't Conner's story convincing enough?" he asked unkindly.

"Why? Am I disturbing?" she asked grinning.

"Quite," he said with pinched eyes.

"Calm down," Conner admonished brother and sister. "Eat something and try to remember that we all have a common purpose."  He pointed to Karen's belly. "Family."

"Our niece," Jason whispered. Suddenly it was hard for him to breathe. In Karen, an amalgamation of Greenleaves and Murtaugh DNA grew. It was as close to a child of their own as they could get. His heart squeezed together painfully with the thought of Conner and his future family. "Do you want kids?", escaped him.

Conner shrugged. "I'm twenty-four. I'm not thinking about that yet," he said nonchalantly. "For now, I am satisfied with the role as an uncle."

Jason cursed his feelings that urged him to press on. He knew he had to rest the situation, but he just couldn't. Like rubbing over a bruise. "But later? In a few years? Do you want kids?" Chewing on his lower lip, he looked at Conner expectantly.

This one suddenly seemed to realize what Jason was actually asking him. Steel blue eyes looked at him tight. "One day I want to start a family. Just like my brothers."

It sounded without hesitation and full of conviction. Jason believed every word.

'Happy now?' he scolded himself, struggling to hold his tears.

Karen sharp ears had picked up his intentions immediately.

"I can already see it all in front of me. Our families together on family days. With your taste in women you will undoubtedly make beautiful children, Conner."

"Hm," Conner agreed coolly. "Karen, can you take Jason?" He looked at his watch. "I have to get going." Without wasting another word, he grabbed his coat and left.

Karen looked at him stunned before turning to Jason. "Did you chase that poor boy away with your talk about kids?"

"You know very well what I was referring to, Karen," Jason sniffed. "Unfortunately, I got the answer I hadn't hoped for. Nothing has changed."