33. Blue Revelation

"I can't believe you did this in a few hours," Andrea said in awe.

"Be careful," Jason reminded her. "The paint isn't fully dry yet."

"Before I started, I sent instructions for a list. The creator assured me that he'll be done in time."

Andrea looked at him questionably. "You want this piece debuted tonight?"

"Yes," Jason nodded. "The collection is complete."

Frowning, she looked around the room. "Everything is packed and addressed. Why do I feel like you're leaving?"

"Because this is the case," he nodded. "I met an old mentor yesterday. He travels the world with his family. They invited me to work on their new project. The variety will do me good."

Critically, she looked at him from head to toe. "Isn't this an ostrich strategy, Jason Greenleaves?"

"On the contrary. I'm starting a new phase in my life," he told her, giving her a hearty hug.

"A damn creative phase, I hope," she grumbled.

"You will have plenty of work to do on the tour in the coming months."

Andrea took him cunningly. "Because you're not available for the rest of the tour, this is the moment to speak a few words."

"About?", he feigned ignorance.

Punitively, she tapped him on his nose. "The development, or as you want to settle the Blue Boy story. Close the chapter appropriately."

Reluctantly, he agreed.

"Before you take the piece, I want to take a picture for Karen first."

He quickly grabbed his camera. With beating heart, he sent the photo to Karen's phone.

"See you tonight."

Andrea left with the carefully packaged painting.

A few minutes later, his phone rang.

"Oh, my god, Jason. What an incredible piece! What does Conner think? Did he give his approval?"

Her response answered the unasked question of whether she knew Conner was in New York.

"Conner doesn't know anything, Karen, and it's going to stay that way. His face is not shown, so I don't need his permission," it sounded cool.

"So when do you plan to detonate this bomb," she asked curiously.

"Andrea just took the piece. A framer is working to make sure it can debut tonight."

"Why do you sound so flat, Jason? The painting is amazing! Why aren't you more enthusiastic?"

"You know what I am like. As soon as I finish a project I get travel jitters. After the premiere I leave with an old mentor and his family."

"Leave? Where are you going?"

"I don't know yet. I'll see that at the airport. My equipment and other stuff are packed and will be sent home tomorrow. I have the rest with me or I buy on the way."

"How long are you going to stay away?"

Jason cringed at the hurt tone in her voice.

"That's not entirely clear yet, but probably weeks or even months."

"Oh, Jason? Is that really necessary? I'll miss you terribly."

"I know. That goes for me, too." He hesitated. "I promise I'll keep in touch. Just like last time."