Just Brew It

The buzzing sound of a phone call awoke the now reluctant college student. He groaned and rolled over, eyes barely opening as he answered the seemingly screaming piece of technology.

"Hello?" The man grumbled. He began to rub his eyes in an attempt to wake them up.

"Mumbo? What's up dude are you still sleeping?" A few moments passed and Mumbo realized the person who had interrupted his sleep was his good friend Iskall.

"No," Mumbo mumbled, "I've been up for a while now what's up?" He pulled his sheets tightly around his body, ready for more rest.

Iskall laughed, most likely seeing through his friends lies, "I just got to Coffee Craft, where are you?"

Mumbo shot up out of the covers and checked the time, 10:35, late. He was meant to meet with Iskall and a few friends at 11:00 at their favorite coffee shop, but he had agreed to meet with Iskall at 10:30 beforehand to finish some work. "Umm I'm definitely on my way!" He lied as he jumped out of his bed and ran towards his closet, looking for something halfway decent to throw on.

Mumbo could almost hear the smirk on Iskall's face as he spoke his final words, "okay see ya soon then, by the way, your favorite baristas here today," and with that, he hung up. Mumbo stared down at his phone, a slight blush creeping across his cheeks as he tossed it on his bed.

"Whatever" he squeaked, reaching into his closet for a white button up and some slacks. "Iskall doesn't know what he's talking about."

About fifteen minutes had past and Mumbo stood at the front steps of his apartment, he sighed at the sight of rain and climbed back up the stairs for an umbrella. Now that he was a bit more prepared for the weather he zipped up his jacket and and began his walk through the rain. The coffee shop was about three blocks away from his small apartment, so Mumbo assumed it would only take about five minutes to walk taking the rain into account.

Mumbo pulled his satchel closer to him as the rain began to fall a bit harder. He watched as cars slowly began to turn on their wipers and kids hopped off their bikes, opting instead to run alongside them. A cat curled up in a window above a flower shop, and as he turned a corner he saw a mother and her kids taking time to splash in the puddles. He smiled and crossed the road coming into view of the lightly illuminated "Coffee Craft" sign. Mumbo hastened his pace as he past a few flower pots and entered the small shop.

Coffee Craft was a small family-owned business hidden away in the streets of the city. A diamond in the ruff of sorts. There were a handful of small tables and chairs near the front windows and a few potted plants. A long counter ran across the back wall with a register, a small showcase of baked goods, and several types of coffee machines Mumbo had no clue how to operate. There were tea lights strung around the room and slow lo-fi hip-hop played softly through the speakers above them. Mumbo paused to take in the rustic yet homely aesthetic before snapping back to reality at the sound of his name.

"Mumbo? Earth to jumbo can ya hear me?" Iskall teased as he tossed a packet of sugar towards his friend.

Mumbo barely caught it as he turned to see both Iskall, and False had arrived at the meeting spot. "Oh! Hey guys," he said as he took a seat at their table near the window, "what's up with this sudden weather?"

"Talking about the weather eh? Trying to avoid a certain subject?" Falsey smiled and winked at Mumbo, causing him to blush.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He stated, placing the sugar packet back in its container on the table.

"A certain subject?" Iskall grinned "or a certain someone?" He asked, taking a sip of his coffee and looking off into the distance. "But that's none of my business."

Mumbo frowned, now flustered, and took off his coat. "I have no clue what you guys are referring to and I will take no part in these shenanigans." he stood and draped his coat and satchel on the back of his chair, looking around the room. He spotted the last of their group, Bdubs, standing by the counter waiting for his drink. "If you don't mind, I am going to get a coffee" and with that, he walked off towards the counter leaving his two other bro's giggling behind him.

"Hey Bdubs!" Mumbo smiled standing next to him.

"What's up Mumbo? Grabbing a cup of joe?" Bdubs smiled and pointed towards the menu. A drink called 'Cup of Joe' on the specials menu. It was apparently named after the owner of the coffee shop.

"Hmm. No... maybe I'll just get a latte" Mumbo stated. He looked around the menu before hearing a small but slightly familiar voice.

"One cup of joe and a sweet berry muffin!"

Mumbo turned to see the owner of the soothing voice and felt his cheeks warm up at the sight. A young man with fair skin and freckled cheeks placed down a small tray on the countertop. He raised a hand to brush his fluffy blonde hair away from his big blue eyes and smiled over to Mumbo and Bdubs, "Extra sweetener just how you like it!"

Mumbo flushed as Bdubs smiled politely, picking up his tray, placing it on their nearby table. " Thanks bro!" He said "how's the shop been today?"

The blonde frowned and leaned on the counter, placing his head in his hands. "Pretty slow because of the rain, you guys are the only customers I've helped all day besides some odd guy in a trench coat earlier this morning." he smiled a bit and pointed to the trash can, "he somehow left a bunch of feathers around so I had to sweep em up."

Bdubs and Mumbo looked at the trash can to see that it was in fact full of white feathers. "How suspicious..." Bdubs said as he examined one close up.

The blonde smiled at Bdubs' curiosity and turned his head towards Mumbo. "That should keep him busy for a little while. What can I get for you today?"

Mumbo felt the flush on his cheeks grow and he pulled up a hand to brush back his loose hair. "Right, um... can I get a latte please? For here."

"Sure thing!" He said, turning on one of the many machines behind the counter. "Anything else for you?"

Mumbo could barely speak as a million words ran through his mind. 'Would this be a good time to ask?' He thought, 'would he even say yes? Should I do it?' He turned for a moment to look back at his friends who were mostly now staring at the feather in wonder and confusion. Iskall looked up to meet Mumbo's eyes and gave him a thumbs up and a wink. Which was all the confidence Mumbo needed.

"Could I also get a chocolate croissant and your phone number?" He bit his lip, a hand reaching behind his neck as he turned away a bit more nervous after the statement.

He looked towards the blonde and was shocked to see a similar expression on his face. The baristas cheeks flushed red as he looked down towards the counter and fiddled with his red apron strings. "O-of course" he stuttered as the sound of a coffee machine beeping caused him to jump.

Mumbo watched slightly guilty but also slightly amused as he watched the flustered barista run to the machine, back towards a cupboard to get a cup, and to the machine once more.  After a few frantic moments the blonde handed him a small tray with a latte and a chocolate croissant.

"How much do I owe you?" Mumbo said as he reached for his wallet in his back pocket.

"It's on the house today," the barista smiled "I insist."

Mumbo blushed at the cute face and fiddled with his wallet, "What no way, how much?" He was interrupted however by the sight of a small folded red paper the barista held out to him.

"Consider it payed for on one condition," the barista smirked as Mumbo unfolded the paper revealing a phone number, a heart and the name 'Grian' in swirly beautiful handwriting. Mumbo smiled and placed the paper in his shirt pocket and looked up at the smirking barista. "I'll be expecting a phone call after my shift."

Mumbo smiled and looked down at his tray where he noticed his latte had a heart brewed on top. He smiled, "It's a date."

~Authors note: thought I'd try everyone's favorite coffees shop au today, let me know if you like it or if there are any au's you'd like me to write! Thanks for voting and reading!! Love, The Guestinator