Tightly Knit

Mumbo never liked knitting. It was a boring task that took several hours and for what? A short scarf that had holes and loose string? For a glove who's pattern was two stitches off and now looks like an off brand oven mitt? He never enjoyed the silence it brought to the room, with nothing but the sound of minting needles clinking together. However, today was different.

Mumbo sat on the floor of his small starter house, balls of yarn at his feet, knit brows and a stubborn expression as he watched his hard work unravel in his hands after a faulty pull of a wrong string. He sighed and leaned back against the wall as his hands fell to his lap in defeat. Yet another failure. Mumbo grumbled to himself and shoved all the string and knitting needles deep into the bottom of a shulker box. He left his base and took off with a rocket towards a certain winery. If he was going to finish his little project he was going to need some help.

After some time, Mumbo landed rather roughly in the middle of a rather large berry patch. Cautiously, he stepped over the many bushes before arriving at a large stone building. He wandered around the perimeter for a while until he spotted the hermit he was searching for.

"Hey Joe!" Mumbo called out as he approached the poetic person.

Joe turned away from the berry bushes he was tending to and smiled, "Howdy there Mumbo! What can I do for you on this fine afternoon?"

Mumbo smiled a bit embarrassed as he set down his shulker box and explained, "I was wondering if you could help me out with a small project I've been working on. You see, I'm trying to knit a sweater for uh- someone and I've been having trouble keeping it all together.

Mumbo tilted his head sheepishly as Joe looked in the shulker box. He pulled out two sets of knitting needles and several balls of red yarn and smiled, "Well Mumbo you've come to the right place. Take a seat right here and we'll get started on your incredible journey to sweater making."

Mumbo sighed in relief as he sat cross-legged on the floor in front of his glasses wearing friend. Within just a few seemingly short hours, Mumbo held out a small sized, well-knit red sweater. There were a few spots he could see where a string was slightly loose or a stitch was out of place but overall, it was perfect.

Mumbo chuckled nervously as he placed the remaining supplies and the sweater neatly in the shulker box and faced his knitted hero, "Thank you so much for the help Joe. I owe you one."

Joe smiled and pushed up his glasses, "Anytime Mumbo. Feel free to stop by for a visit!"

"You got it mate," Mumbo replied as he took off into the sky once more, shulker in tow and yelled back, "Thanks again!"

Mumbo bit his lip nervously as he held his precious work in his hands, approaching a hillside that was not his own. Several windows and holes popped out of the surrounding hills as chickens taunted the seemingly growing number of iron golems. The setting sun left a warm glow on the hillside as light reflected on the glass windows and gave the whole area a cozy and welcoming feeling. He approached the front door, tucked this gift behind his back, and knocked gently on the fresh wooden door.

A few moments went past when a small, and sleepy blonde hermit answered the door, rubbing his eyes from the fading sunlight and adjusting his plain black t-shirt around his shoulders. He looked up at the mustached man and yawned, "Hey there Mumbo, what brings you here at sunset?"

Mumbo chuckled at the sight and spoke gently, "Well I actually came here to see you." Grian smiled and stepped aside, allowing the taller hermit to enter into the surprisingly chilly base and shut the door behind him.

"Well I'd asume so if you're here you spoon," Grian chuckled. He shivered and rubbed his arms before turning to the taller hermit and spoke, "So why'd you want to see me?"

Mumbo felt his face heat up as he stared at the blonde before him. He seemed sleepy, yet awake. He wore a tight t-shirt and comfy trousers, most likely getting ready for bed, and his hair was a bit messier than usual. "We're you headed to bed?, he asked nervously, "if your busy I can come back in the morning."

Grian smiled and shook his head, "Nah it's okay. It's too chilly for me to sleep anyway. So..." he paused and began to eye Mumbo up and down. This made the taller hermit squirm in his stance before Grian smirked and crossed his arms, "what are you hiding from me, Mumbo?"

Mumbo froze in his spot for a moment before clearing his throat and shaking his head and spoke gently, "Well, I heard about your accident the other day when you were in the nether and lost your sweater to a blaze..." Mumbo fiddled with gift behind him and slowly began to reveal it to the smaller hermit, "... and I'm no pro at knitting or crochet but I made you this."

Grian gasped as Mumbo held out the handmade gift in front of him and sighed, "I know it's not perfect but you work so hard and I thought you could use something to cheer you up a bit and-" Mumbo was cut off from his words as he felt a pair of tight arms around his waist. Squeezing him tight, Grian beamed at the sight of the amazing gift and looked up to the mustached hermit.

"It's incredible!" Grian shouted as he squeezed the life from his companion and slipped into the red sweater. "It fits me perfectly!" He said as he held out his arms and did a small spin.

Mumbo was at a loss for words as he watched the blonde stretch and dance around the room before stopping for one last hug, "Thank you Mumbo! I love it. I'm never going to wear another sweater again!"

Mumbo relaxed into the embrace and pulled the smaller hermit in close, he smiled, "I'm happy you like it," and released the hug, turning towards the door, "I guess I should get going then."

Mumbo paused as he felt a familiar grasp on his shoulder and turned to be met face to face with the blondes' big blue eyes. Grian gulped nervously, cheeks the same color as his sweater as he spoke into the collar, "Why don't you stay the night? It's pretty dark and I wouldn't want you getting into any trouble..."

Mumbo felt his anxiety melt away and smiled, placing a hand on Grian's cheek, "I'd love too."

Authors note~ Hey guys! I hope you're enjoying all the stories. I wanted to ask if you could take a super quick survey I made so I know what you guys are interested in! The choices are Fluff, Angst, Smut, and Song Fics. The more feedback I get the more I can write for you guys! I'll leave the link in my profile. Happy reading!