Stop | Kaigaku

Kaigaku x Reader oneshot from soft-lullaby 
Thank you for requesting!
Enjoy reading!

~~~~~

"You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm."

~~~~~

Do I like Kaigaku? 

That simple question always made its way to your mind every single day. There hasn't been a day that passed without you thinking over your own confused feelings for the guy. Sure, he's an asshole, but there's something that you can't quite place. You couldn't simply throw him away.

Kaigaku lives his life in his own methods. You thought maybe something happened in his past that made him like an asshole. You couldn't blame him. No one can. If he thinks being mean can satisfy himself—unless he already crossed a line—then it's okay for you. If his way of protecting others is by being distant, then this is where you step in. 

You cannot leave Kaigaku alone.

You never knew anything about him anyways. What's with the infatuation?

Eh.

You stopped walking. Your eyes widen at the sight of Kaigaku waiting in the middle of a pond. You can tell he was waiting. He was playing with the soil by the flowers on the pond-side. "Kaigaku-kun?"

Kaigaku turned around to see your surprised state looking back at him. He huffed, standing from his spot on a rock. Kaigaku walked past you, saying, "Let's go."

"Wha..." Your crow landed on your shoulders. You whispered, "Why is he here?"

The crow informed you that your on a joint mission with Kaigaku, your crush. An apologetic smile appeared on your face as you mumbled, "Great."

* * *

At first, you were questioning and reflecting why you found yourself in a joint mission with Kaigaku. You always managed yourself with difficult mission. How can this one be any different?

But now, as you stand in front of a hideous demon, whose body is contorted and twisted in peculiar directions, you understood very well why you are in a joint mission. You understood the reason why you are not alone.

It was very obvious you and Kaigaku are struggling with the demon. But with Kaigaku's ego, he never admitted it. He doesn't even turn to you to say he needs help or even say something about the demon.

The demon commented, its voice husky and deep, "I thought you two work perfectly in sync because you never talked, but now you..." the demon pointed at Kaigaku, "You're too prideful. The little lady here is struggling because of you."

You agreed with the demon, but refused to show any reaction. You knew too well how demons work: provoke their enemy with false words. The only thing different is the words the demon is saying are all true and accurate. 

You knew Kaigaku's big head will be his downfall. That's why you always stay behind his back. You were ready to prevent or cushion his fall if the situation calls it. You breathed, moving swiftly as you attacked the demon. With a smirk, the demon told you, "You already killed me a long time ago if that brat listened to you, right?"

You didn't care to speak and jumped away to dodge an attack coming from him. Kaigaku took this chance to enter the fray and tried to slice the demon's neck.

You took a hit from the demon due to fatigue. You're the one who had been adjusting for the asshole Kaigaku. You barely evaded the attack from the demon as you see how close its claws were from your face. Kaigaku continued to assault the demon. You can see all the openings in his attacks, even if he is fast with his breathing form.

As if reading your mind, the demon went for Kaigaku's opening. You gripped on your sword. In a flash, your body moved on its own as it cleanly cut the demon's head from its place.

The head fell on the ground with a thud. The demon disintegrated at the same time your body collapsed towards the dirt, red blood seeping out from your chest. 

Eyes wide in horror, Kaigaku caught you before you hit the soil. "Why did you do that?! I could've killed that demon!"

Your hand ran across Kaigku's cheek. Kaigaku felt the stinging pain from his cheek spreading throughout his face. Despite the searing pain on your chest, you managed to yell at him, "If I didn't interfere, you could've been in pieces! You're ego is too big for me to handle! The demon's right! If you don't think of yourself as a high-being, we would've killed it ages ago!"

"Breaking news: I could've killed it myself! You really just had to meddle in other people's business!"

You were more than glad because of your wound is shallow as it gives you more time to fight with Kaigaku before you pass out from blood loss. "Stop being selfish! It only makes the burden of looking out for you increase!"

Your hand reached your mouth. Anger had controlled you and you ended up blurting out the stuffs you shouldn't. 

A beat of awkward silence went by. Your eyebrows were still furrowed. Kaigaku removed your hand from your mouth and smashed his lips against yours.

Okay, you never expected that reaction. You struggled under his arms. You tried punching his chest, but with your growing weakness you couldn't break free. Tears pricked your eyes. You just gave in, closing your eyelids and returning the kiss with as passion as Kaigaku had. 

Kaigaku sensed you were beginning to lose consciousness. As he pulled away, you passed out in his arms. He hugged you tighter, burying his face in your shoulders. He wiped the tears from your face and spoke, "I'm sorry. Let's get those wounds patch up."