Chapter Twenty Seven

FLORENCE

"So we just...think about her?" I lipped, staring at the picture Vladimir had just given me.

It was a girl and I was in awe of how stunning yet ghastly she looked at the same time. Her hair was matted and black with streaks of bright blue, in beautiful voluptuous curls. Her eyes were almond shaped, red and serpentine, displaying an odd mixture of emotions, not even one of them distinctly clear. I think it was her smile that was the most unnerving of all. Pale, thin lips that were curved upwards in neither a smile nor a smirk but they seemed to speak volumes.

"Yeah." Vladimir said and I forced myself to look away from the oddly compelling photo and up at him.

"Isn't it easier if Camille attacks first then?" I asked. "You won't have to go through the hassle of going up the mountain and everything?"

He pursed his lips before nodding. "Yeah it will be easier." Was all he said.

I waited a beat for him to elaborate. "So wh—"

"Because I don't want him near you." He cut me off, looking straight into my eyes, intensity burning in his grey orbs. "I don't care how selfish that sounds, I'm not going to let him get close to you or the baby."

My heart warmed and I nodded. "Alright." I whispered softly, not questioning it because of how guilt shone in his eyes.

He looked exhausted and worn out, stress lines on his face and I felt my heart ache. Keeping the photo aside on the nightstand, I raised a hand to cup his cheek. "You look really tired." I hummed.

He closed his eyes and drew in a breath, leaning into my palm as he exhaled and I felt the warmth on my skin. "I am." He mumbled.

I tutted and scooted back so I was leaning against the headboard. When he opened his eyes I patted my lap as an invitation.

His eyes flickered down before he turned around and lied down on his back, his head in my lap. I started running my fingers through his hair and he closed his eyes again, emitting a sigh of content.

Leaning down, I placed a kiss on his forehead, feeling an overwhelming sense of appreciation and love empower me.

"Vlad.." I murmured softly after a moment, wrapping a slightly longer strand of his front hair around my finger.

He hummed in response, turning on his side to nuzzle his face in my thighs before starting to stroke my right knee back and forth with his hand.

I bit my lip before speaking, slightly nervous about his response. "So..you guys, with Beatrice's help, are going to find the mountain right?" I started.

"That's right." He spoke drowsily, letting out a yawn.

I pursed my lips and looked down at the sheets. "Well, I want to go with." I spoke hastily, crossing my fingers as I waited for his reaction.

His hand stopped the movement on my knee for a second before he spoke. "No." Was all he said before his hand started moving again.

"Vladimir, come on. I really really want to help. I heard you on the phone and I know Rose and Antione are coming with you too so it's not fa—"

"Rose isn't pregnant and Rose isn't the one Camille will have an eye on and she sure as hell isn't my mate." He snapped, cutting me off, too tired to even look up.

I was taken aback at his last words and I think he sensed it as I withdrew my hands from his hair. He let out a sigh. "Look I know how that sounds, but if it came down to it, I'd save you over Rose any day and I bet that's not a me thing, all mates are like that." He said. "Moreover, Rose has been in this pack a long time and she's gone through proper combat training majority of that time."