so many books, so little time

A/N: My AUs are always inspired by the weirdest things lol. What inspires you?

Stiles had been waiting for this day for nearly two years. The final book in the Becoming Moon series had finally been released. He wanted to get to the bookstore as soon as it opened, but he had a lecture and study group in preparation for his final exams of law school. 

Instead, Stiles was running to the bookstore at 7 pm. He knew he was late, and that the chances of there still being a copy were slim, but he still ran as fast as he could. 

Stiles pushed open the glass door of the bookstore and ran through the aisles until he reached the one with his desired book. At the end of the aisle stood a man that was a few inches taller than him with a bit more build. He had beat Stiles to getting the last copy of the novel. 

Instantly, all of the anger and frustration from the day bubbled up and spilled out. 

"Of course the most good looking guy in this entire bookstore gets the last copy. I sprinted here from a 10 hour study day and my study group ran long and this is my favorite series in the whole fucking world and.."

The man across from him stood while clutching the novel in his hands, his eyes wide. 

Stiles reassessed the situation and his emotions immediately changed from anger to embarrassment. Good job Stiles.

"I am so sorry. I just had a really bad day and I was looking forward to reading that book, but."

Stiles readjusted his button-down and put on an awkward smile, "I'll just order the book online or something."

Stiles began to turn away and act as if he hadn't just totally embarrassed himself in front of the hottest guy on the planet when he heard the man clear his throat. 

"You should have it."

Stiles spun around to see the man holding the book in his outstretched hand. "Knowing my sister, she probably already has a copy and I can just borrow it from her until I get my own."

Hot as fuck and acts like a gentleman? Am I sleeping during a lecture again?

"I was being inconsiderate. Bookstore rules: you had the book first." 

The man rolled his eyes and stuck out his arm even further, "Take the damn book."

Stiles reluctantly reached out and took the novel, allowing his fingers to briefly graze those of the individual standing opposite of him. 

"Thank you...."

"Derek." 

Jesus Christ. 

Stiles tugged the book into his chest and pushed up the glasses on his nose. He repeated the name, allowing it to roll off the tongue, 

"And you?" The man, now Derek, asked. 

"Uh...Stiles."

Derek raised an eyebrow. A common reaction when Stiles introduced himself.

"Trust me, you don't want to know my actual name."

Derek grinned, "I can handle it."

Fuck me now. 

Stiles blushed, AGAIN, and scratched his head. He wanted to continue the conversation, but his poor, socially awkward brain could not figure out a way how. Luckily, Derek did it for him.

"C'mon," He stuck out his hand and waited for Stiles to take it. When he did, Derek guided him to the front of the bookstore.

Stiles paid for the novel, still holding Derek's hand. Derek led him outside, where it had started pouring.

"Jesus fuck-"

Derek laughed and began to run. Stiles squealed in surprise but started to follow Derek's pace. 

The two ran into a cafe, soaked and laughing. Derek jogged to the barista and ordered two hot chocolates. 

Stiles raised an eyebrow, "I'm not twelve, Derek." 

Derek accepted the two cups and handed one to Stiles. "Drink the damn hot chocolate, Stiles."

Stiles tried to glare in response but broke out into a fit of giggles. Derek quickly joined in and motioned for Stiles to follow him back into the rain. Stiles took a swig of the hot chocolate and ran out the door.

Outside of the cafe, Derek put his cup on a table that was protected under the awning of the building. He took Stiles's book and cup and placed them near his. Grabbing Stiles's hands, he pulled him into the rain and deserted street. 

Derek spun Stiles around and the two danced to the music in their heads. 

"So what brings you to DC?" Derek asked.

"Law school. How about you?"

Derek tilted his head to let the rain hit his face. 

"My sister lives here. I'm thinking of moving here as well. Favorite book quote?"

Stiles laughed. What the fuck?

"Humor me, Stiles. We met in a bookstore. You have to know at least one book quote."

Stiles took a minute to think, the only sound being that of the pouring rain.

"Everything is nothing, with a twist."

Derek smiled, "Of course you like Vonnegut." 

Stiles rolled his eyes and shoved Derek, not trying to groan at the feeling of Derek's muscles under his wet shirt. He had absolutely no shame. 

I'm actually going to die from how hot this man is.

"Don't ask me for a quote and then insult me."

Derek intertwined his fingers with Stiles's.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Stiles used his free hand to poke at Derek's chest. This man could not be real. 

"Excuse me, sir, but you are not allowed to quote goddamn Shakespeare. You are not allowed to be hot, nice, and intelligent as well. That's not allowed."

Derek smirked and stepped closer, "Oh really? Not allowed?"

Stiles gulped and tried to step back. When he did, he was yanked back into Derek's grip. 

"Well, then I guess you're not allowed to manage to look extremely gorgeous in the pouring rain." 

Stiles tried to look as deeply as possible into Derek's eyes, searching for some hint of deception. He couldn't find one. 

"If you don't kiss me now, I think I'm going to die," he breathed.

Derek pulled him impossibly closer and kissed him deeply. Stiles ran his hands through Derek's wet hair while Derek's hands traveled to his back. After a few minutes, the two broke apart while Stiles tried to debate the reality of the situation.

"Thank God I didn't skip my lecture to buy Becoming Moon this morning instead."