Chapter 2

I was hoping that when I woke up, it would all have been a nightmare. A scary, terrifying nightmare. But alas, I woke up still engaged to be married. The most annoying part is that I am not really even that mad at my parents. Well, yes I am mad as hell, but I also know where they are coming from and why I must do it.

The Russian Mafia has also wanted more. They are not content with the area that they cover. They are willing to steal and kill for more power. My father, Lorenzo, decided that enough is enough. However, by ourselves we are basically useless against them. They outnumber us and are a great deal more powerful. At the end of the day Russia is so much larger than Italy.

My father got the idea to make a treaty with the Irish mafia. We don't particularly like each other. But at the end of the day we hate the Russians even more.

The Russians are at the top, followed by Ireland, America, and then us. We aren't the most powerful in number, but we make up for it with our fighting skills.

I decide that if I am going to be a married girl, then I might as well spend the next couple of days enjoying my family. I think I am still too raw to talk to my parents, but I need to see my brother. He can always cheer me up. Plus I am in the mood for a good workout.

I throw on my favorite workout set and text my brother to meet me in the gym in ten minutes. I know he will be up for it. My brother trains three hours every morning in the gym. He is next to be the leader and he always wants to not only act the part, but look it as well.

I grab my headphones, walk out the door, and head down the stairs towards the gym. I open the door to the gym and see Giovanni at the punching bag already working up a sweat. He peers around the bag and shoots me a smile.

"Hello sorellina." He takes his earphones out and stops punching the bag. I used to hate his little nickname that he gave me, but it no longer bothers me. It's kind of endearing.

"Hey Giovanni." I set down my water bottle and put on my workout playlist.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Giovanni looks at me like I am a lost puppy and it makes me sick. I don't like to be pitied. I am stronger than most people think and I don't want to talk to my brother about it.

"No I don't. I want to kick the shit out of something. That my dear brother, will make me feel better." I put my headphones in and look up to see Giovanni shake his head. I put on the spare set of gloves and started punching the bag with all of my might.

"You don't have to tell me twice." He puts his head phones back in and moves on to lifting weights.

I am grateful that he didn't push me to talk about it. I am sure dad told him all about it and how this shows that we are good leaders and do what is necessary for our survival, and blah blah blah.

Father is big on making everything a lesson and showing how we are not weak. I am envious of my brother. He has it so easy. He was born to be taught how to rule, told that as a man he can do what he pleases, while us females must be prepared for marriage and being a dutiful and proper wife.

I was taught that my ability to create an heir for my husband was my privilege in this world. What a load of shit. I am just glad I have a punching bag in this instant to take my anger out on. I mean seriously this isn't the Middle Ages.

Three Hours Later

I just finished my shower after my long workout with my brother and I stepped into my room with a towel on. After entering I turn to see my sister, Mia, sitting in my desk chair.

"Can I help you with something?" I look at my sister and see that she is going through the stuff on my desk. She doesn't appear to be looking for anything specific, but either way she is snooping.

"So how did the talk with mother and father go?" She looked at me with a grin on her face. She knew exactly how it went. I would place money that she stood outside the door listening. My sister and I do not get along on a good day. On a bad day, let's just say all hell breaks loose.

"Oh you know exactly how it went Mia. I am sure you went and asked mom as soon as I left, like the snake you are." I finished with a smile and turned into my closet to pick out an outfit. I knew she would stay until I finished dressing so I took my sweet old time. I grabbed a pair of black leggings and a light blue blouse. I threw my hair up in a messy bun and applied some light makeup. I stepped out of my closet and sure enough Mia was sitting on my bed facing me.

"I thought I had gotten rid of you already," I say while looking at my phone, not very interested in this conversation.

"I heard you put up quite the fuss. You know it really is an honor for our family for you to do this. You really should be thanking our parents." She started to get up and leave, but I wasn't gonna let her go so easily.

Mia loves to play dirty. Teasing and bickering are her two favorite pastimes. I hate the situation I have been placed in with Alex, but I am not gonna let her know that. Two can play her games.

"Oh really, then why don't you just marry him? Oh, that's right. Alex didn't want you. He took one look and knew how used you were. So really I should be thanking you for this honor." I spit back at her and then went back to my phone. She left my room and I heard her door slam down the hall. Suppose that means I won this round?

I heard my mother in the kitchen so I started to walk there and I smelled her homemade lasagna. It is my all time favorite meal. My mother is the best cook that I know. Most people in our position and status would just hire positions like a cook, butler, or a nanny but never mother. She always insisted on doing everything herself. I admire her a lot for that.

I enter the kitchen and she looks up at me and stops preparing the food. She looks at me with a pitiful smile. I know she never wanted this for me, but she has no say in decisions like this.

I know that she is waiting to see what I might say to her, but I know that it won't do any good. I'd rather not fight with her on my few days of freedom so instead I pick up a knife and start chopping vegetables for the salad. She hesitates a moment and lets out a shaky breath, then continues to prepare the meal.

After dinner I go up to my room and start watching television. I don't know what else to do with myself. I soon hear a knock at my door and see my brother. He stands in the doorway and looks up at me. I pat the spot next to me on the bed and he comes in and starts watching with me. I am going to miss these small moments with my brother. I don't know how many more I am going to get. Come tomorrow I will meet my supposed 'future' and my world will be all flipped around.

*********************

Please leave comments and votes if you have enjoyed!!