Chapter 22

After our steamy time in the kitchen and then followed by the shower, Alex and I head back downstairs with everyone. They all came back from training and everyone seems to look worn out from the day. 

Tomorrow is the time that I have been waiting for for the past couple days, but it's also the day I have been dreading. Ambushing a mafia group is not an easy decision to make and it should not be taken lightly. Lives will be lost and people will be harmed. The only thing we can do is pray that there isn't too many casualties, on our side that is. 

I worry for the safety of my family during the whole operation. There is way too many risks being taken and no guarantee that anything will come about it. I know that this must be done and the risk is supposed to be worth it, but is the risk of loosing a loved one really worth it in the end? 

If you ask me I say no, but I know that this isn't a popular opinion in our line of work. When you are in a mafia, they are your family, it is who you die for, but I can't imagine the pain of someone coming back hurt tomorrow, or other worse instances. The only thing to do now, is enjoy the time together before they set off for their mission tomorrow.

After eating our dinner majority of people went upstairs for the night to get an early start for tomorrow and be well rested. There was only a few people still awake and downstairs. Giovanni, my father and both of our mothers had retired for the night to their bedrooms.

Alex was outside on the deck drinking scotch. He looked as though he was very deep in thought. I'm sure he was thinking and running over everything for time a hundred times in his head. They have trained and prepared for this situation, but everything could change in an instant.

I was currently sitting on the couch with some red wine, occupying a world of my own to myself. Mia had disappeared after dinner as well, but I'm sure Mia is trying to prepare mentally for tomorrow just as everyone else must do.

After looking over Alex I could see the concern and the slight traces of fear written over his face. I have only on rare instances seen a truly scared Alex, even now, he only has a meager look. 

He is a very intimidating man and part of that is his ability to mask his emotions and keep a blank face. It's almost a necessity it when it comes down to what these boys have to do and the decision they make on a daily basis. But I would like to think that I know him, he is worried. 

The veins in his arms are prominent and he is leaning over and not in a proper intimidating way, more looking like he needs to sleep and a proper hug. His back muscles are tense and he is heavily breathing.  Without even looking at his face I can tell his eyebrows are scrunched together and he has a crease on his forehead.

One can tell that he doesn't get hugged enough. Alex puts up a good front, but he just needs affection and that is what I am for. I am good for a lot of others things, yes, but right now I just want to hold him and never let go. 

Daniel must have noticed me staring, "He's okay."

I turned to him having not paid attention that he was addressing me. "I'm sorry?"

"Alex," he nodded his head towards his son. "He's okay, he just gets nervous about fights like tomorrow." He finishes by drinking some more of his whiskey.

I nod my head in agreement. "Yeah, if I were about to go after someone like Dimitri, I would be nervous to." I say with a light chuckle at the end, not really knowing what emotion I should be feeling in this moment. 

I am nervous for all the boys about to leave, but as Alex's wife, it's my responsibility to show no fear, no weakness.

"Alex is a good fighter, especially in tough situations like that, he will be just fine." he tries to reassure me, but I sense his own doubt in the words. Almost like he is trying to convince himself as well.